Mystery chick- joint effort!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dovecanyon, Dec 31, 2009.

1. dovecanyon

dovecanyon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    Here is a pic of 5 of my 11 new babies, they are 2 days old in this photo, and a couple of pics of the mystery chick. These chicks are from eggs I received from a fellow BYC member, and when I sent her this picture she said that she has no idea where the white chick came from! She has no white chickens, and has never hatched a white one. This chick is a little larger than any of the others, and is very, very fluffy, and very calm and sweet! It is pure white, with no other color or marking. It's legs are feathered on the outside, but not it's feet. Also, it has puffs on its cheeks. Natalie has agreed to post immediately after this, with a list of the possible mom's and dad's. We are both so curious to find out who this chick came from. Any help would be appreciated. Oh, it hatched from a brown egg. Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Here I am:) ok I know these possible moms and dads will sounds funny together but Im listing all possible moms and dads

hens:

BO
    RIR
    Blue standard cochin
    black bantam cochin
    blue amaracuna
    cinnamin queens
    GLW
    SLW
    light bantam brahma
    dark bantam brahma
    WC polish
    multiple EE mom

ROOS:
    1/2 favorelle 1/2 amracauna
    black bantam frizzle
    buff bearded silkie
    burchin cochin
    black standard cochin
    SL polish

thats it--I mean I have other breeds but they have been in breeder pens for 2 months now? or even longer for some
    These birds I listed are not in the same coops together either-they are split up and have "met" from time to time when it has warmed up outside to free range but I thinkits been well over a month for that? anyone??? That white chickie is so pretty and I would love one too...

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    does she have 5 toes??? she is precious! I think you need to send her back for me to be able to tell all the way:)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  4. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    That dog is adorable![​IMG]
    The chick is cute too [​IMG]

edit: I think it could be from the faverolle Roo, and the orp or Cinn queen hen, or maybe the EEs.

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    look at those yummy cheecks??? She looks like she has wingers comingout of them-tufts? not sure but I keep going back to look at her and still am stumped!

6. dovecanyon

dovecanyon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    Quote:Sorry Natalie, I've gotta keep her, she's my favorite! And yes, she has 5 toes! I didn't even notice it before. I've never seen 5 toes before, so I don't know how they are supposed to look. She has 4 regular size toes and one smaller one beside the back toe, on the inside. Is that right?

Quote:Thanks! That is Peanut. She's my middle dog. Daschound/long hair chihuahua mix. We also have a Great Dane mix (Scooby Doo) and a tiny Chihuahua (LittleBit) that weighs 2 1/2 pounds. Peanut is always supervising when I am doing anything with the chicks, she is such a worry-wart!
    Is your name Grace? That's my name.

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    yes -that's right, her feet and toes look just like her daddy's all 5 toes!!!-the favorelle mix- favorelles have 5 toes-well now that we know that aspect lets hope someone with a good genetics back ground will jump in and identify the momma for us???

8. Laney

Laney Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Spring Hope, NC
    Looking at the feathering on the leg, I'm guessing the light brahma? Cochin's have feathers on the feet. And as far as I know looking at the list only the Cochin's and the Brahma's were feather legged?

Oops, no I didn't realize that Faverolles were feather legged too.

If that is the case I have no idea.

Laney

9. smarsh2

smarsh2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    i thought i could see a little americana in the face too. has to be the favorelle/americana roo and i suspect the cinnamon queen. either the cinnamon queen's silver gene came through or the americana portion of the roo had a silver gene. i suspect that is about the only way it would be that white.

10. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Given that it has fluffy cheeks, feathered legs and 5 toes, I am gonna guess that the dad was the 1/2 faverolle, 1/2 Ameraucana. Faverolle chicks are little yellow fluffs like that. [​IMG] As for the mama...[​IMG] Mama probably has yellow legs, but that is as far as I can guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by