Mystery Chick. Not sure of breed or hen or roo

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bcox243, Mar 12, 2013.

1. bcox243

bcox243 New Egg

Mar 12, 2013
    Canon City, CO
    This chick came from bin of sexed hens. I loved the markings and was told it was a Buttercup but its markings are different from our other buttercup......... And I only see a single comb.

The chick hatched Feb 24 (my birthday as well!) and is super-alert.

What do I have? M/F? Breed?

Thank you in advance!

Bart
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bcox243

bcox243 New Egg

Mar 12, 2013
    Canon City, CO
    Well, after looking at some threads I hadn't checked before, it is looking and sounding like a Welsummer. Quite a variety for my first flock!

3. Alex15

Alex15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2013
    Perhaps you saw my thread with my little wellsummer, but yes, it looks a lot like my little wellie! With the eyeliner on it I would also guess girl. Apparently they are an intelligent breed of chicken! And they do have the prettiest little markings on their feathers!

4. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Several breeds have chipmunk patterned chicks. Because the legs are more of a pink or whitish color rather than yellow, I think that your cute chick is more likely a Speckled Sussex rather than a Welsummer. Plus we have a white feather coming in the wing.

Eta: I almost forgot. Welcome th BYC from a fellow Coloradan!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN

X2. The white wingtip and pink legs say Speckled Sussex. Super sweet and different looking.

6. Alex15

Feb 24, 2013
    Oh yes, I never really thought of other chicks looking like Wellsummer chicks too! Do you guys know if they eyliner sexing thing (which apparently has a 90% accuracy) works on other breeds that get the eyeliner? Just out of curiosity! :)

7. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Sorry but the eyeliner thing only works for auto-sexing breeds.

I have a Speckled Sussex. She's really friendly ( like almost pushy to the front of the line to greet you ) but not the best layer we have. She's my avatar being a grumpy broody after I pulled her off the nest. I can see why they were developed as dual purpose cuz she's pretty porky.

Not sure if yours is a girl or boy yet. I think you'll need to be patient!

8. Alex15

Feb 24, 2013
    Fair enough. I was just curious! My wellies are my only eye-lined chicks!

Your grumpy speckled sussex is cute! My first chickens are only 4 weeks old but I'm sure broodiness is something I'll eventually learn about!

9. bcox243

bcox243 New Egg

Mar 12, 2013
    Canon City, CO
    She (hopefully) is our first to be named......... "Spicy" (Yes, "Spicy Chicken"). She is now quite friendly with us though definately the Alpha Hen.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Definitely a Speckled Sussex but not sure about gender on this one. The stance is fairly upright and the legs are rather thick but the comb isn't growing yet. I'll go with still too soon to tell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by