mystery chick. what breed(s)is it?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by marlowmanor, Apr 3, 2012.

1. marlowmanor

marlowmanor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Linwood,NC
    We got this chick 3-19-12 when it was a couple days old. At first I thought it may be a polish mix since I thought is had a slightly elevated head area. I also thought it was part cochin. Upon further investigation I figured out it couldn't be cochin because it didn't have feathered feet. It's legs were greenish so I thought perhaps it was just an EE. It has poofy cheeks.
    Here is the chicks baby photo
    [​IMG]

Now at 2 weeks old I have noticed it has started getting head feathers. Here are some updated pictures. Anyone have any guesses on what breeds are in this chick mix?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Hard to tell anything from those photos. Based on the last pic, looks like an EE. Maybe mixed with some crested breed.

3. marlowmanor

Jul 28, 2011
    Linwood,NC
    Sorry the pictures aren't the best. [​IMG] The chick wouldn't hold still too well, my kids wanted to hold it, and I was trying to keep my youngest son from grabbing the chick since he tends to be too rough with them (but he's only 1). I know there was a polish rooster around that could be the father. I think that was the only crested breed on the property. Maybe this chick does have some polish in it like I first thought. Guess I'll see what other people think too. Thank you nurse_turtle for your response.

4. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Polish X EE ???

However with mix breed chicks its impossible to even hazard a real good guess unless you know the exact breeds that could be responsibile and even then usually not until they are closer to maturing and show their adult features. Chicks tend to look too much alike when little.

5. marlowmanor

Jul 28, 2011
    Linwood,NC
    I have a general idea of what breeds were on the property we got them from. I can always ask the guy we got them from too to get a better idea. I am thinking EE/Polish mix more now though. I know he had an EE hen on the property and a polish rooster in the free range flock. He also had a white Ameracuana, but I know this chick can't be from that hen because of it's color and the polish rooster being white as well. I guess I will keep watching as it grows! And hope it is a hen so we get to keep it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by