1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

mystery chick with no comb????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by physgraffgirl, May 14, 2011.

1. physgraffgirl

physgraffgirl New Egg

May 14, 2011
    Hey there!
    My husband and I went to a local poultry farm to get some chicks. We wanted an Americauna and a Salmon Favorelle and 3rd chick but couldn't decide on which breed (we wanted 3 different ones) So the guy said that when he got the favorelles from the hatchery he recieved a "mystery chick". It has no comb, and it is mostly brown with some gold feathers on the wings, and a little bit of a beard. We decided since it was so cool looking and it was a "mystery" that we would take it. Any ideas on what breed/mixbreed it could be????

2. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    probably an EE-aka americauna. that's what usually gets sent as a mystery chick from hatcheries. if you have pics i would suggest to post those to visually help us out!

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yes, probably and ee, and probably a roo. The "no"comb is likely a pea comb.

4. physgraffgirl

physgraffgirl New Egg

May 14, 2011
    [​IMG]

it's the one at the top!

5. physgraffgirl

physgraffgirl New Egg

May 14, 2011
    Also...with a pea comb can't you still see a little bit of flesh??? There is absolutely no flesh on this bird's beak.

6. Hegatha

Hegatha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Washington
    You got a gold laced polish and there combs develope way later on. They have a V- shaped comb.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  7. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    huuumm, i'm now thinking it could be a buff brahma from the looks of the body color! they usually don't have that solid brown color as chicks if it was an ee it usually has that chipmunk color as a chick!

8. Hegatha

Hegatha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Washington
    Its seems to have a poof on its head.

9. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    It is a Polish.

10. jarvis

jarvis Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    potosi
    can you get a pic of the mystery chick where you can see more of it ?? polishs have a lil poof on top of thier head [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by