1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mystery Chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tiana Rose, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Tiana Rose

Tiana Rose Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2016
    Spokane, WA
    So last week when I was at the feed store they had this mystery chick. It does not look like any of the others they ordered. So of course I had to get her. But I am dying to know what she is. Anyone have any ideas? The first two picks are last week when I first got her. The third is today (she is the far left) I know she is with other chicks but it was the best one that shows her off. I wish my camera took better pics. Any suggestions? The dark stripe across her eye seems interesting and one I have not found on other chicks. Such a mystery.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi,

Would it be possible to get a photo of her in natural light? It's kind of hard to really see her with the red glow.

3. Tiana Rose

Feb 17, 2016
    Spokane, WA
    Sure! Not sure why I did not think of that. Guess pictures do look better in the sun. Luckily it is a fairly nice day so I ran her outside for a few photo shoots. Hopefully these will help. The last pic is a close up of her wing feathers. That may give some indication of her future look?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    I'll throw a guess of brown leghorn out there. I am very much guessing though.

5. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    When I first saw the reddish photos, I wondered if it wasn't a Sussex but now seeing it in the brighter light, it isn't. Maybe a Welsummer? That's my wild guess. [​IMG]

6. Tiana Rose

Feb 17, 2016
    Spokane, WA
    hmm... very interesting. I will keep posting updated photos. Hopefully at some point we can figure out what she is. [​IMG]

7. kana9

kana9 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2015
    My Speckled Sussex chicks looked exactly like that.

8. Tiana Rose

Feb 17, 2016
    Spokane, WA
    Really? They told me the the small one with the the stripe on her back (in the bottom picture of all of them) was a speckled sussex. I hope this mystery chicken does not turn out to be a roo.... [​IMG]

9. Tiana Rose

Feb 17, 2016
    Spokane, WA
    So now that she is several weeks older I thought I would post more picks. I am thinking she may be a welsummer. If so, great job N F C on the guess when she was just a chick. That is amazing. What do you guys think she is?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  10. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Here's a photo of a young Welsummer (not my photo, I don't have one of these... YET!). What do you think, does that look like your girl?
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by