1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mystery chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by elizabethjg, Mar 29, 2016.

1. elizabethjg

elizabethjg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2016
    Texas
    Is this a red sex-link cockerel? Got it with a few other chicks from a friend (all different breeds). Don't know exact age, but I'm guessing around two weeks old.[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    Your little one could be one of several breeds or crosses, but it isn't really screaming RSL cockerel at this point -- not to say that as another week or so passes and it feathers in further that won't change. What comb type does it show it will have? How does it's size compare to that of the other chicks it's same age? There isn't a lot of feathering shown in this picture - are there any other areas (ie on the other side) that are feathering in and, if so, what color are the feathers?

3. elizabethjg

Mar 27, 2016
    Texas
    It has a single comb. It is much larger than my other chicks, but they are all different ages and breeds. The only feathered areas are the wings and tiny feathers on the tail. Is mostly yellow with a brown face and tiny brown speckles scattered on wing feathers. Also has yellow legs.

4. Lelilamom

Lelilamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Looks like a broiler to me. Cornish Cross.

5. elizabethjg

Mar 27, 2016
    Texas
    I raise broilers for Houston Live Stock Show and Rodoe and they looked nothing like this, they were MUCH bigger.

6. Lelilamom

Lelilamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    We raise them too. Around the second week they can barely fit in our hand, but they are still yellow. They do grow fast though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by