Mystery Chick!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GardenWren, Oct 11, 2016.

1. GardenWren

GardenWren Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Manchester, TN
    I recently placed an order for several chicks from Meyer Hatchery. In the order I got 15 Brown Egg Layer Assortment, 4 LB Leghorns, 2 Golden Campines, 4 SS Appenzeller Spitzhaubens, 5 bantams and the "Meal Maker." I ended up receiving 32 chicks in total. I was immediately and easily able to identify the different breeds in the Assortment (Barred Rock, Buff Orpington, Golden Buff, Black Australorp) as well as the specific breeds previously stated, but there was one that stuck out like a diamond in a coal mine. After looking at the different breed pictures (specifically the chicks) of the different breeds they offer, the only two I found that look even close to this beautiful little gal are the Dark Cornish and Barnevelder, but she doesn't look exactly like either. So here I am, hoping someone here can help me identify my pretty little "Mystery." The images were all taken lastnigjt. She was officially 1 week old yesterday. (Her coloring is deeper and much richer than the pictures show, the lighting in the brooder room wash everything out.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Looks like a Gold Laced Wyandotte to me.

3. ragschickens

ragschickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2016
    Definitely looks like my GLW. Here's a pic of her at a week old and then another one at about a month...[​IMG]
    The chick on the left
    [​IMG]

4. GardenWren

GardenWren Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Manchester, TN
    Ya know, the pics Meyer has of their GLW look so different I didn't even consider them, but she looks just like yours! It would make sense, she's the friendliest of the bunch (partially because I handle her the most - she's my favorite) and from all I've read, they're a pretry docile breed. That would definitely be a happy surprise! I ended up losing several babies from this last shipment and opted for SLW as my replacements, so it'll be neat to have a means of comparison from the same hatchery (albeit a different color.) I've owned many different breeds, but Wyandottes haven't been one till I ordered these coming. Thanks so much for your reply, that's a real beauty you have there.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    gold laced wyandotte

6. chicken4prez

chicken4prez Overrun With Chickens

X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by