Mystery chick

Elegantenvy

Songster
May 20, 2018
Elgin, South Carolina
I got a video call from my cousin the other night. She was holding s baby chick and asking for my help. I told her to grab a heater to put it in front of and I'd be on the way. Apparently someone brought it to her boyfriend's house to feed to his snake and he said no.

So anyway. I've inherited ine baby chick. I have everything I need.. but I have no idea what breed it is. Apparently the friend works at a farm, so it could possibly be a meat chicken I guess? Which is what I'm afraid of bc idk if I could call a chicken..

It's yellow ( helpful right) just started getting a few feathers going. What I find weird is it's got almost pink spots on it ? Like maybe it's been dyed? Surely it's not natural lol. Could it be for identification purposes or not so much? I took pics but its hard to see.

IMG_20181014_102248.jpg
MVIMG_20181014_101258.jpg

I would have told her to give it back to where it came from...
...if the guy didn't want it for snake food, he should have given it straight back.
By then it probably would have died. This was 1030 at night I got the call. Already hours without a heat lamp. Better to have a life with me than eaten by a snake or froze/starved to death.

If it's a cornish, you should be able to tell before long, it will grow so rapidly. Posting some more pictures when it's a little older may help. I've not raised any but some say that restricting feed and making sure it gets enough exercise can lengthen their lives. Do some searching for info on that if you want to try. The head poof also makes me wonder if it is a cornish. Sometimes it's very hard to tell until they get a bit older. Either way, it will have a better life with you, for however long it is.

I had a rescue chick, I put little stuff animals with her to sleep with at night and held her a lot until she was well enough to go out with the big ones, but still separate, now she is roaming with them.. just a story for it can be done, and tip with the teddy bear! good luck! (Below pic)
062.JPG

When I got chicks last i got mixed breeds. 2 breeds were yellow chicks. I could only tell them apart because one breed had extra toes. None of the breeds were different sizes. I had brown leghorns, CX, polish and favorolles. My great grandpa keep commercial egg laying white leghorns in the 40s through the 70s. Still possible to be a leghorn. I've been posting videos of my CX and brown leghorns weekly on youtube and linking on another thread. They might help you identify your chick's breed. The size difference at 1 week is noticeable and at 2 weeks is extreme.

Back
Top Bottom