Mystery chick

Elegantenvy

Songster
May 20, 2018
Elgin, South Carolina
Okay. I wanna say I posted about this before.. maybe even the same title thread lol. But my cousin ended up with a day old chick and asked if I would take it. ( It was given to her boyfriend to feed his snake, and he didn't wanna do that) it came from a farm the friend worked at.

Anyway, I have no idea what type of bird it is, and was told to wait til it was a little older. I'm afraid it's a broiler, and I am not prepared to have to butcher it. :(. The chick is a month old tomorrow. Can anyone confirm if it is in fact a broiler and if so... What do I do? Should it eat like my laying hens do? How long would it live?

I heard they become really unhealthy after a certain length of time. :(.
MVIMG_20181111_195511.jpg

If you are determined to keep him, hell require controlled feeding and lots of opportunity for movement (ie feed away from water away from favorite resting place....all encourages movement).
Personally, if not prepared to process I'd rehome to someone who is....prolonging life is not the kindness many feel it is

Can you get a side shot? Hard to judge body type from this angle, but not really looking g like a month old broiler. My first thought is red sex Link cockerel (it's definitely a cockerel regardless of breed)

Hi,
I have broiler PETS. They are AWESOME! super sweet and affectionate! Mine are very healthy and I know other people with broiler pets who have had them live several years. You certainly don't have to butcher him. I'd be happy to give you some advice! I agree with others that he is probably a Cockerel, but he's still young. I have three Cornish Cockerels and they are very loving, I have so much fun with them! Also, their crow is fairly quiet and smooth, I find it soothing! It's not the stereotypical shrill roo crow. They also only crow a couple of times in the morning, and that's it. Did you know that a Rooster's crow is much quieter (48db) than a dog's bark (100db)!
Feel free to keep in touch! Happy to go through this with you!
PS here is a picture of some of my current babies, 9 weeks old!

Attachments

• 20181112_065228.jpg
    20181112_065228.jpg
    495.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20181112_065025.jpg
    20181112_065025.jpg
    532.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20181112_065020.jpg
    20181112_065020.jpg
    460.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
If you are determined to keep him, hell require controlled feeding and lots of opportunity for movement (ie feed away from water away from favorite resting place....all encourages movement).
Personally, if not prepared to process I'd rehome to someone who is....prolonging life is not the kindness many feel it is
Yeah. I've read they get unhealthy quick. Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna attempt to rehome or try to find someone that can helpe through the learning process of butchering. :/

Back
Top Bottom