Mystery Chick

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by abbey808, Jul 4, 2011.

1. abbey808

abbey808 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Hawaii
    Hi All,

I live in Hawaii and there are a lot of wild chickens running around. This little one showed up in my yard about eight weeks ago. I was wondering if anyone had any idea what breed she may be? I have been calling the chick a she (her name is Buttercup) because at eight weeks I still don't see any sigh of a comb. This cutie is pretty small and has feathered legs. I don't see any wild chickens outside that look like her.

So I have the usual questions..

1. Boy of girl?

2. What breed/mixture of breeds could it be?

Thank you in advance! [​IMG]

Side view

[​IMG]

Buttercup on the right

[​IMG]

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Pullet! Can't guess on the breed.

3. abbey808

Jun 30, 2011
    Hawaii
    Here's a top and other side view. It really doesn't matter to me what she is. She's such a sweet and happy girl. I'm just perplexed because I don't see anyone else that looks like her.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Leigh

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Awwww, she's so sweet! [​IMG]

From those fuzzy legs, I'd say that you have yourself a buff or buff mottled D'uccle cross. It appears she might have a pea or rose comb, so it wouldn't be pure D'uccle. Keep posting pics as she grows, it'll be neat to see how she feathers!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  5. abbey808

Jun 30, 2011
    Hawaii
    Thank you for pointing me in some direction. I had been looking at pictures of different breeds of chickens and couldn't find one that looked like her. She's a very small, delicate bird. All the other chickens I see outside have larger, heavier frames. I too am very curious to see what she will look like as an adult. She's my little sweetheart... I am glad that she showed up on my doorstep. [​IMG]

Leigh

6. Theapplechicks

Theapplechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    She looks almost like a tiny little one we have and don't know what she is, but ours doesn't have feathered feet. She looks sweet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by