Mystery chick.????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mbpalmtree, Apr 9, 2012.

1. mbpalmtree

mbpalmtree In the Brooder

Feb 20, 2012
    Castle Hayne, NC
    [​IMG]
    I ordered four babies & when they came I could definitely tell which one was my buff orpington, barred plymouth rock & golden laced wyandotte. So by process of elimination & a few calls to the hatchery, it seems as if I have eneded up w/ a white (pale yellow) Ameracauna. They said a few others have called w/ the same issue. Has anyone ever heard of or seen such a thing? I know they exist but are not very common though. It's the top left hand corner one..

2. Judy

Judy Crowing Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I had a nearly completely white EE rooster. What hatcheries call Ameraucanas are more properly called EE's.

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Songster

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Almost all hatchery 'Ameraucanas' are actually a mix called an EE. One of that chick's parents probably carried a white dominant gene. If the little one is a hen and has a pea comb, she will likely lay blue or green eggs. Freebies are usually males though.

1 person likes this.
  4. mbpalmtree

mbpalmtree In the Brooder

Feb 20, 2012
    Castle Hayne, NC
    A.K.A. Easter Eggers. What is the difference between them & Aracaunas???? Happy to know about the all white color thing, but it better lay me some greenish/blue eggs. I am going to buy another one just in case!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by