Mystery chicken dropped off at my house... i think.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickensducks&agoose, Nov 7, 2010.

1. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

okay. I dont pay super close attention to my birds. When I let them out, the favorites cluster at my feet hoping for a hand out, and the other ones wander around all day. at night, I just shut the coop, without counting them or anything... if we've lost one, it's long gone by then. anyway, today i noticed a new chicken in the yard. i don't know what it is. it's short, and has a giant tail that sticks straight up in the air. i bet it's a rooster. anyway, if it's still there tomorrow, i will try to catch it and figure out if it belongs to someone... do people often dump chickens?

2. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, people dump unwanted roos in the country, at farms or with people who have chickens. Many urban areas dont allow roosters.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Just last week someone dumped a roo at our place.

4. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

that seems so weird. have these people never heard of Craigslist? Where the hungry folks are usually willing to take a rooster off someone's hands? me neighbors down the road have chickens, but since all the chickens they have are ones I've given them, I can guarantee it's not theirs. It seems to be a japanese, or maybe a japanese mix. cause it's tail looks just like that, ridiculous.

5. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    If you like it, keep it. Just check the "lost" ads on Craigslist for a week or two. If someone comes looking for their lost rooster then, of course, return it.

If you don't like it, Craigslist it!

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Serama?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by