Mystery Chicken - What breed am I?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CAChickenNewbee, Jun 12, 2011.

1. CAChickenNewbee

CAChickenNewbee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    El Cajon CA
    I just got this little chick from a neighbor, who got it from a little girl, who knocked on his door (he has a ranch) and tearfully begged him to take the chick as her parents wouldn't let her keep it. I think it's a girl, I am guessing maybe 4-5 weeks old. She has feathered feet and bright yellow legs. I tried to capture the underside of her wings, which are black, even though her outer body feathers are white. She has a nice collar and a turned-down tail. Can anyone help with breed, sex and age?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Looks to be a light Brahma. One of my favorite breeds... [​IMG]

3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Aw, what a cute little light brahma. Makes you want to cuddle her!

4. CAChickenNewbee

CAChickenNewbee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    El Cajon CA
    Awesome. Always wanted a brahma. She is a cuddler. I'm pretty sure this is probably a school hatched chicken project....
    Unfortunately she will have to be a loner for a few weeks until she can hold her own with my four month old silkies and polish - She may just have a stint as a house chicken. Wait until I break that to my DH. Thank you.

5. chickenseller94

chickenseller94 New Egg

Jun 12, 2011
    Mount Airy, NC
    it is a light brahma...beautiful birds...big birds too... roosters get up to 12 lbs

6. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Light Brahma, probably a hen. [​IMG]

7. HighNDryFarm

HighNDryFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    Quote:I vote Brahma pullet too....also, did you get your Polish in CA? I've been looking like crazy for a breeder in Northern CA. I also have an EE/Brahma cockerel that would love to be her man! [​IMG]

8. kemclaughlin

kemclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    I had a bantam light brahma that I gave away. He was a sweet little thing though.

You're in El Cajon? I grew up in Santee! My mom lives in Vista and I am trying to talk her into getting a few hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by