1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mystery chicken

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FriAndRoo, Sep 17, 2015.

1. FriAndRoo

FriAndRoo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2015
    Texas
    [​IMG] this is Miss cinnamon spice (my daughter named her) she is an absolutely beautiful, very sweet but very very skittish young lady, she's about 25 weeks old but has not started laying yet. I've been trying to research her breed to see what the average laying age is but if I look up americana Araucana or Easter Egger I find pictures that look like her and other pictures that look nothing like her I know all three of these breeds are different breeds but I don't know which one she actually belongs to... I thought maybe you, my awesome chicken crew, could help me find out!

2. JulieB81

JulieB81 New Egg

Apr 21, 2014
    Randolph WI
    She looks like an Easter Egger to me!! The late laying would be typical of the breed as well.

3. JulieB81

JulieB81 New Egg

Apr 21, 2014
    Randolph WI
    Excellent name by the way ;0)

4. FriAndRoo

Apr 3, 2015
    Texas
    Oh! I neglected to mention her slate green blue legs... I mean she's a pretty distinctive looking bird but I didn't know if that would be helpful information to anyone

5. FriAndRoo

Apr 3, 2015
    Texas
    I'm really excited for when she does start laying eggs, all three of the breeds that include her picture have such pretty eggs! My Rhode Island Red just laid her first egg today, in the middle of the yard no less... Not sure if I'll be able to find bluish green eggs in the grass!

6. tj74roberts

tj74roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    Ceres, Caifornia
    She is a beautiful Easter Egger. When she does lay tho she should lay almost everyday. I have three E.E's about her age. One is laying and she lays a beautiful green egg about everyday if not every other day. Her name is Truffle. She is brown/black and white and super friendly.

7. JulieB81

JulieB81 New Egg

Apr 21, 2014
    Randolph WI
    I have several different breeds as well. I have all different shades of brown, but those blue eggs are so cool! As she gets older they'll get bigger too! I like to give eggs away sometimes, and people flip when they open the carton and see the giant blue eggs! :0) I let my girls run outside the chicken tractor they live in, but they always come home to lay the eggs. That will probably come with age/experience eventually! They are so fun, aren't they!!

8. FriAndRoo

Apr 3, 2015
    Texas
    I'm super excited, although I figure at least a little bit they will be little tiny eggs, at least for a while because she is a pretty small chicken by comparison to the others, she's not a banty but just noticeably smaller.

I hope so! I can't hardly wait till she starts and until they start laying in their nests! They have free range of the yard and their coop ( we don't have any predatory birds in the area and we have dogs in all the neighbors yards so we don't get any cats or other predators here either)and while it's fun hunting eggs, I don't want to step on any of them!

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Easter Egger.

10. tj74roberts

tj74roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    Ceres, Caifornia
    Mine has only been laying for about a month and her eggs almost fill the spot in the egg carton, they won't be small for long

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by