Mystery chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by UberrooJax, Apr 8, 2017.

1. UberrooJax

UberrooJax New Egg

Oct 8, 2014
    Hi everyone;

I have an adorable, quite small, lavender hen. She looks like a lavender Ameraucana. She has slate shanks, puffy cheeks and has just begun to lay, yes, her eggs are blue, quite blue. Very freaking blue.

Here is the deal. Her name, sadly, is Gluon. The reason her name is Gluon is I cracked her egg when it was in my incubator. I glued it, she hatched anyway. Bless her!

I got her egg from a friend's flock. My friend has 5 or 6 coops, each with different mixes of chickens in them. They never get out, I was pet sitting when I collected Gluon's egg, so I know nobody got out as I was caring for her flock at the time and nobody was home otherwise. She has NO lavender birds and she has no Ameraucanas. None of her neighbors has chickens and she lives in an area that is mostly BLM land with a few scattered farms, her close neighbors have no animals and the farms have no chickens.

Gluon's "Dad" is a Swedish Flower chicken. He is a fine, large for a Swede, fancy, flowery boy.

He lives with Two hens. One is black and looks like a Black Sex Link, possibly some other large, robust, black hen. She lays a brown egg (I caught her in the act so I know who's egg is who's in that coop). The only other hen in that coop is a medium sized (for an Orpington) blue Orpington who lays a lightly tinted cream or tan colored egg.

Gluey came out of a tan egg. The other egg from that coop, the brown one, did not hatch. I only had two eggs from that coop and one other egg from my friend's house and that came from a different coop.

Now, in case you think I am crazy, and trust me, I feel crazy, I DO have a Lavender Ameraucana, his name is Maynard. He has never been at my friend's house (she is 20 miles away) and I DID have some of MY eggs in the incubator along with Gluey's egg. However, none of my hens lays a pale tan colored egg and none of my hens is lavender nor are there any pure Ameraucanas among my hens. I had ONE Maynard daughter, Val, her eggs were dark Olive colored, she had only one egg in my incubator and we lost that chick right after hatching. I had no other Ameraucanas at that time. I did not want to put any of her eggs in because Maynard is her dad, but my son wanted us to try one so one dark olive egg went in.

I was very surprised when Gluey was born lavender, but I figured it was a Swedish funky color thing and she would probably feather in another color, but she stayed lavender.

The genetics of this is confounding. She is smaller than any Ameraucana hen I have had, she is banty sized, her eggs seem to be full sized eggs though. She has always been healthy, active and otherwise normal. She is very friendly and cuddly.

I have family members who all remember the tan egg that got glued and I watched her hatch out of that egg.

My flock is small, I know each hen, her background both genetically and physically, I have paid close attention and I know who lays what egg. They are pets and so I pay lots of attention...

Ideas?

Charlie

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You should post on the "what breed or gender is this," forum - some of the folks there are very well versed in color genetics, etc. I think they could give you answers. I would like to know the answer myself.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! Best wishes! :)

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under UberrooJax [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry, genetics and colouring sail straight over my head but I hope the folks on the Breed & Gender Forum are able to help you out.

You could also try this Forum which includes genetics discussions: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16188/exhibition-genetics-breeding-to-the-standard-of-perfection

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by