mystery chicken

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NumbleNuggets, Jan 6, 2009.

1. NumbleNuggets

NumbleNuggets Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    Citrus Heights, CA
    A couple of days ago we found a chicken in our suburban backyard. We have no idea where she came from, but she is not interested in leaving. She allows us to pet her, sits next to our cat, and pecks at the back patio door as if asking to be let in. She also follows my boyfriend (the first one to feed her) wherever he goes in the yard. She immediately took up sleeping in our partially enclosed patio on a windowsill, ironically looking in on our lightly chicken-themed kitchen.

She appears to be a pullet, small in size with golden coloring, a black tail and black outlining to many of her feathers on her back. She also has some black under her wings and yellowy-pink legs. Any thoughts?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  2. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:First: [​IMG]
    Could be a Golden laced Wyandotte or A sebright?

Take a digital picture of the bird, load onto your computer, go to uploads (up on top of this page), click browse, click on the picture from your computer that you want, and the size. Once it uploads, take the IMG code, copy it (right click). Come back to this post. Hit edit, and paste the code into the post.
    Good luck!
    Christina

3. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    if u have a pic click on my email button by my avitar and send me it as an attachment and i'll upload and post it for ya. [​IMG]

4. NumbleNuggets

Jan 6, 2009
    Citrus Heights, CA
    Thanks for the warm welcome and advice! Got some pictures for ya... see what you think?

5. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:First: [​IMG]
    Could be a Golden laced Wyandotte or A sebright?

Take a digital picture of the bird, load onto your computer, go to uploads (up on top of this page), click browse, click on the picture from your computer that you want, and the size. Once it uploads, take the IMG code, copy it (right click). Come back to this post. Hit edit, and paste the code into the post.
    Good luck!
    Christina

Can't be a Sebright, they have rosecombs and are laced. Can't be a wyandotte, they are also laced and the body shape is too gamey which leads me to think it's an Old English Game bantam or a cross.

6. NumbleNuggets

Jan 6, 2009
    Citrus Heights, CA
    Looked up old english game bantams and she looks just like a ginger red. I think you got it! You're good! I thought that bantams always had feathers on their feet- is that just the roosters, is it a maturation thing or does it just come with certain types of bantams?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  7. TreeFever

TreeFever Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    MA
    She is so pretty!
    You're lucky she lets you touch her.
    Have you asked around to see if anyone is missing her?

8. sweetpeasmom

sweetpeasmom Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2008
    I am no expert but she looks a lot like my little banty cross hen that someone gave me last year.

9. chickNjake

chickNjake Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    east tn
    what about Quail or Ginger Red OEGB?

Quail(feathersite)>[​IMG][​IMG]

and Red Ginge(bantychicken.com)r>[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  10. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:Different kind of bantams have feathered feet, but Standard breeds also have them.

Bantam ex: d'uccles, bantam brahmas, bantam cochins

Standards ex: Brahma's, Cochins. There are others. (just can't think of them [​IMG])

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by