Mystery Chicken!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kayque89, Aug 24, 2013.

1. kayque89

kayque89 New Egg

Aug 24, 2013
    Australia
    [​IMG]
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help me identify the breed/gender of Professor Puffy Pants. Sadly abandoned due to his raggedy appearance, so we took him/her in. Previous owners were fairly hopeless, so no luck there in regards to information.
    [​IMG]

2. naightengale

naightengale Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    Rocky Mount VA.
    My Coop
    its frizzled!! thats for sure.
    id say frizzled cochin or cochin mix.

3. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    It is a frizzled. It is is supposed to look like that, so that is isnt a good reason to abandon him (not that their is a good reason. I think it looks like a silkie mixed with something else

4. kayque89

kayque89 New Egg

Aug 24, 2013
    Australia
    Thanks guys. The walnut comb makes me think silky cross something, although its red. Frizzled sounds about right.
    Any gut feelings on whether I can expect any crowing? I'm in a residential area, so unfortunately is she is a he, I'll have to rehome.

5. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    it is a rooster

6. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Yeah it's a silkie mix with frizzled feathers- has a very silkie looking head.

The skin on him is slightly dark, and most likely reddened up a lot due to maturing with increasing testosterone- that can lighten darkish skin to reddish.

he could start crowing any time now or within next few weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by