Mystery chickens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RhpsPython, Sep 14, 2016.

1. RhpsPython

RhpsPython Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2014
    South Florida
    Only thing I knew about these 3 ladies is that they came from red barn and that the largest one was older by a few weeks than the other two. Now that they've grown a bit, I am curious as to what breeds they might be.
    [​IMG]
    Big girl Henny Penny, smallish single comb and is same size now as my 2 year old Barred rock ladies.

[​IMG]
    The two little gals just seem to have a different build than Henny and much larger combs.
    [​IMG]
    Cuties [​IMG]
    Any ideas would be fun to hear, I had a few but as they've grown I'm just not so sure anymore.

2. MonicainAZ

MonicainAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    My guess is that Henny Penny is either an Australorp or a Jersey Giant. You can look at the bottom of her feet - if they are yellow that would be a Jersey, if they are pink/white that would be an Aussie.

My guess on the other two could be Andalusians or Minorcas. I am unsure of the finer points of distinction between these two breeds.

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    x2, I would guess the same.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    me too

5. chickencraz

chickencraz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Washington State
    Not sure what the top one is, but probably Australorp or Jersey Giant. If she has white skin on her feet- Australorp, yellow- Jersey Giant, black- ?

The rest are black Minorcas, unless they ever start getting white on their faces, in which case they'd be Spanish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by