Mystery chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LynninOK, Jul 17, 2011.

1. LynninOK

LynninOK Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    Claremore, Oklahoma
    Hey! I'm new to chickens, and new to the forum, so I have yet to successfully post a picture. I picked up five chicks from out local Oklahoma small-town Atwoods. Someone had stolen their chick ID book, so I randomly picked five pullets, thinking I could sort it out later. I wrote down the names of "possiblities" jotted down on the stock tank, and have figured out 4 of the five. So far, I have a definite Yokohama, Black Sex Link, Fayoumi, and a very probable black Shamo (which were some of the breeds listed.) So, my fifth chick is not so easy. She looks like a Delaware, maybe? She was a black chick, with some white on her wings who has turned pure white as she got older. She has loose feathers, is fairly large, with green legs and red on her face, ear lobes and such. I think she has a small either straight or pea comb. I'm curious to what she might be...https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/90027_p1000258.jpg

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  2. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    I think that green legs mean you have an easter egger. Others more knowledgeable will be able to say more.

3. LynninOK

May 3, 2011
    Claremore, Oklahoma
    I was able to post a link to her picture. I know I need to do some more reading to make sure I'm doing it all correctly. Anyway, I do think it's funny that I came home from the local ranch store with these fancy, exotic birds. Ideally, I would have old fashioned "farm" breeds. I love them, though. They are good "first chickens." And now I know...

4. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Quote:That ranch store probably just got whatever the hatchery sent them. Do you have any more pics of them? When i first saw the white one i thought Chantecler but the green eggs throws that off so it might be an EE can you get an upclose pic of the comb?

5. LynninOK

May 3, 2011
    Claremore, Oklahoma
    I will get a closer pick. Thanks for the help!

6. enjoyin' my chickens

enjoyin' my chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Hinesville, Ga
    In your uploads if you copy the image code and paste it into your post the picture should show in your post.

7. LynninOK

May 3, 2011
    Claremore, Oklahoma
    I'll try it:[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  8. LynninOK

May 3, 2011
    Claremore, Oklahoma
    It worked!! Thank you! This is one I suspect to be a shamo.

9. LynninOK

May 3, 2011
    Claremore, Oklahoma
    I have been reading, and the only breed I can find that fits my chicken is a White Jersey Giant, or possibly an Austrolorp?. She definitely has willow legs. She's about three and 1/2 months.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Quote:Im guessing shes a cross between some stuff, Australorps should have white legs, JG should have yellow, so I have no idea. The one above is probably a hatchery shamo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by