Mystery Chickens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Alexis, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Alexis

Alexis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Can you help identify the breed(s) of these chickens? A gentleman stopped by our place one day (upon seeing all the happy chickens running around) and asked if we'd take some chickens off his hands that had been running around his neighborhood. He had penned them up, then found out they belonged to a neighbor who no longer wanted them, so he asked if we'd please care for them. How could I say no? They are gorgeous! [​IMG]
    I am positive that the dark pullet is a black australorp, as she looks just like the two I have, but I'm not sure at all about the wheat colored pullet or the roo. Any suggestions? I suppose it's possible they are from the same parents as he said they were all 5 months old.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Not a clue what the rooster is, but the brown one looks like my Red Sex Link. They are pretty. What a blessing.

3. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    The Black one looks like my Black Giant

4. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    The wheaton looks like a standard game cross and the cockerel looks like an oegb cross.

5. Easter_pink_silkies

Easter_pink_silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    The bottem roo carries a pattern that ive only seen in cochins and E.E's but i could be wrong.

6. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    No clue but I love the tail feathers on that Buff/Red one in the first pic. Pretty Birds [​IMG]

7. Alexis

Alexis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'm having fun trying to figure out what they resemble. I should have stated too that they are all full sized, not bantam.

8. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I've had an EE x australorp roo that looked identical to yours... he was very friendly and harmless, and we loved him.

[​IMG]

Edited to add the pic...

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  9. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Sorry, I don't know, but I have to say how absolutely BREATHTAKING those birds are. Who wouldn't want them? He was a gentleman indeed for giving them to you, lucky duck!

10. crazychickengirl

crazychickengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Glenmont, Ohio
    My friend (Harley's Girl) got a chick from TSC this spring that was supposed to be an austrolorp. Hers turned out to be a roo and looks almost identical to yours! I got one also, but mine turned out to be a hen and looks like the black hen you have. I'm wondering if the previous owner bought them as chicks there? Just a thought. I'm guessing the roos just aren't pure austrolorps....

Have no clue about the wheat colored hen...but my first thought was it sort of looks like a game hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by