Mystery chickie...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lolalilu, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Lolalilu

Lolalilu Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    Hello! My family is semi-new to raising chickens (haven't had any since I was a little kid). We recently got a bunch of Crested Polish chicks, mixed varieties. There is one, however, that doesn't seem quite like the others. No little "poof" on top of the head, is growing just slightly larger, and, while all the chicks are very sweet, this one wants to snuggle and hang out with us a lot. I tried to get some good shots, but the camera kind of spooked the chicks a little. I'll post the two best I have. The brown/black one is the mystery chick.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know the photos aren't great, but hopefully there are some clues as to its breed. It is about two weeks old and looks much different than the little Polish chick (his/her best buddy) next to it.

Thanks!

2. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Are your chicks large fowl or bantams?

3. The Turken Lady

The Turken Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like a brown red ameraucana to me. I'm not an expert on the color,but she has the right leg color,and a beard on her face.

Here's what they look like when grown-
    [​IMG]

4. Lolalilu

Jun 27, 2011
    Thanks for the replies. There is no fluff on the legs so I thought no to Bantam. Yesterday I noticed the little puffy "cheeks." I will look up the ameraucana and see how well they match her.

5. akcountrygrrl

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Bantam refers to the size. Not all bantams have feathered legs. In fact most large fowl breeds come in bantam size (even Jersey Giants) but there are some bantam breeds that don't have a large fowl counterpart.

6. Lolalilu

Jun 27, 2011
    Ohhh, OK. I always thought they all had fluffy legs (see, shows what I know). [​IMG]

7. akcountrygrrl

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Where did your chicks come from?

8. Lolalilu

Jun 27, 2011
    They came from a country feed store that has loads of chicks every day from all varieties. We went back to try to figure out the mystery chick, but there are all new ones now and none of them look like her.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  9. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Looks like an EE to me. They're all really cute.

10. Lolalilu

Jun 27, 2011
    Now that you mention it, I think you are right! I recall seeing a bin of EE chicks when we picked up the Crested Polish chicks. I think they were right next to each other. Googling images show a few that look exactly like her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by