Mystery Chickies, Any Ideas??? (Pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tharrell, Apr 16, 2009.

1. tharrell

tharrell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Any ideas on any of these guys on either breed or gender? I think I might have a couple figured out, but I hate to give away some pullets when I thought they were cockerals. I'm only allowed 10 birds on my property, and currently I have 11. Any help would be GREATLY appriciated! In these pics they are about 5 weeks old or so. Thanks so much in advance!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

2. marytoast

marytoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Carthage, NC
    I'm no expert but the black one may be a barred rock. I do know they are very cute!!!

3. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    The big one in pic 6 looks like it could be a cockerel. Other than that... Sex links? Who knows?

A little more info would be helpful.

4. tharrell

Jul 28, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    I was thinking those ones are barred rocks, but is there anyway to tell the difference between a black sex link rooster and barred rock at this age? I bought them with the other black one so that was kind of my thoughts on them.

5. tharrell

Jul 28, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Any other ideas?

6. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Actually, they all look kinda like fuzzy dinosaurs to me.
    Where did you get them?

7. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    Ok I am going to "try" and help here....

Pic #1-I am leaning towards pullet, watch for the wattles to come out more...
    Pic #2-Is not a BR unless it is a hatchery bird. The barring isnt right for a breeders so i would say a sex-link of some kind. Gender wise, I think it is a cockerel. If the picture is correctly lit, I am seeing some wattles coming out.
    Pic #3-He is a He. so far it is the best example of what wattles should look like at 5 weeks. could be a BO
    Pic #4-again, chick in the back is a cockerel. Cant tell if it is the same bird as pic #3.
    Pic #5-Black chick in the back could be a cockerel. His wattles are more pronounced then the other that I can see so i would guess...cockerel in the back. The other one i cant see any wattles but it could be the way the picture is taken. I also see a white dot on that ones head indicating a possible BR. If it the same bird as pic #9 you have a pullet!!!

I am not an expert at sexing but these are my opinions. They are all cute and enjoy them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by