Mystery chicks.. Ahh they are coming from the Crele project

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by swheat, Sep 15, 2010.

1. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I have had 3 white frizzled cochin chicks hatch, but I have no idea where they came from..[​IMG] So somebody is sneaking out some unexpected genes [​IMG] Reckon what I would have to do to make them talk ! [​IMG] Yep, somebody is hiding recessive white genes.
    I have the following :
    -lavender roo over a black frizzled hen
    -barred frizzled roo over barred hens
    -f1 barred/partridge frizzled roo over partridge hens

I have White cochins but none are frizzled and they are penned separately since I got them(last year).

I also have frizzled seramas and polish, but they are not coming from them [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  2. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I found out where the white frizzles are coming from..This afternoon while I was putting hot water in the incubator, I noticed 3 chicks already hatched and one had just popped the lid open..it was a very light yellow chick. Ok, I was thinking Lemon Blue cochin chicks,YES(I finally got enough butt feathers cut back so the roos can do there JOB !), but NO after looking at the description on the top of the egg shell..to my surprise Crele cochin..I would have never guessed ! The frizzle white chicks are coming from a f1 frizzled BarredXPartridge roo crossed back to partridge hens. Well, at least I know where they come from but not a clue how they came out white..I love projects..you get to see all kinds of things at work. [​IMG] even if you don't understand all of it !

Here is da babies DADDY ! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  3. PhoenixFeatherFarms

PhoenixFeatherFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Mooresville, IN
    nice looking rooster.. I too am working on crele cochins just no frizzle in mine..yet...lol

4. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Quote:Well lets see some pictures of your work.. [​IMG]

5. PhoenixFeatherFarms

Apr 11, 2010
    Mooresville, IN
    Lol ok well I can get some this weekend.. The camera took a dive finally and doesn't work anymore.. Boo [​IMG] so gonna try to get another this weekend [​IMG]

So you crossed a barred over a partridge and got your rooster? Which was the rooster the barred or partridge?

Any pics of some feather out chicks from that rooster? Or are these your first chick from him?

6. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Quote:Oh always go with a barred roo..get more barred chicks that way [​IMG]

I have a few chicks that are just a few days old, so not feathered out yet(and more pipping as I type [​IMG]). I am getting a variety though, some look like barred chicks(black white spot on head), and I see a very partridge(red) looking chick and of course the WHITE chicks..LOL

ETA- I also have a smooth feathered brother to the frizzled roo pictured that I kept as a back-up roo. Also there is a barred sister in the breeding pen(that maybe where the more barred chicks are coming from).

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  7. PhoenixFeatherFarms

Apr 11, 2010
    Mooresville, IN
    humm interesting interesting.. I guess tha partridge and reg barred would come back out again being so close in my trio are not yet laying so mostlikly won't have any chicks to see till next spring. Your crele I think looks a bit better than mine I think.. But my cockerel is 100% man just yet either lol so still has some more color to come in his hackle and saddle feathers. We shall see we shall see.. Lol

8. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Here is a couple of pic of project chick(other than the white chicks)that I pulled out of the incubator this afternoon. From my Barred Partridge cochin project(Crele look-a-likes)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by