1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

mystery chicks any idea?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pidgey104, Feb 4, 2014.

1. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    I did a bad thing after one of our local shows was done and everyone was cleaning out cages I went through and collected eggs that were left. So now I have a bunch of chicks and no idea what they are lol.
    A lot hatched out chipmunk looking. Also there are some of my black copper marans in the bunch. Really intestered to know what the first one might be?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    I know two are rhode island reds I remember grabbing eggs out of their cage. Plus I do have some quail in there also

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    They're too young to answer your question. So many breeds look exactly the same as chicks. Post again in six weeks or so.

I think you were BRILLIANT!!!!!!!

4. Those are lots of chicks! Lol! Good luck identifying, please post pictures when they are older as WalkingOnSunshine said!

5. Cooper Farms

Cooper Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    new sharon ia
    so what did u do there was a poultry show and at the end u went around and got the eggs left by the hens at the end of the day?

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree, too young. And they may be mixed, so it might be a challenge.

I don't see this as a bad thing at all. I've seen where folks did this while the show was still ongoing, and I'd call that stealing, but this is simply a good use of resources! The owners had the chance to take the egg and didn't care to, so good on you!

7. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    What a lovely assortment of chicks! I agree good use of your resources if they were left for clean up...we get a lot of good stuff that way (said by a wife of a true dumpster diving husband).

Since it was a poultry show, do you have a vendor's list or program to help spark your memory? Somebody had to have decided where cages were put where.

That would narrow it down to the breeds present...maybe not much help as you've got a lot of variety there but it might help.

And yes, too many of the chicks are going to look alike at this age...and if they are mixes...you may be guessing indefinitely (I've got one gal I keep changing my mind on....I think I've landed on that she is probably Wyandotte/EE mix...maybe if I ever have the $25 to toss on gentic testing I'll get her heritage tested out of sheer curiosity.)

Lady of McCamley

8. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida

Yes we collected all the eggs that were left behind. Most people throw them under the cages . But we grabbed them all up lol

9. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    Well I do know I have two silkies 1 blue and 1 pretty paint :-D

10. Cooper Farms

Cooper Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    new sharon ia
    I have never been to a show but I might and if I do I will be shure to do that

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by