Mystery chicks from Poultry sale - What are they??????!!!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jossy J, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Jossy J

Jossy J Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2009
    We went to a poultry sale on the weekend with intentions of buying a couple of banty hens. There was a man selling chicks in the rain on this cold, windy day and the chicks looked sad. We ended up buying 4....The seller claimed they were all banty hens??

This is my first time posting pictures so I'm not sure how to do it...here goes...

This is a frizzle of some kind. Black feathers with white tips, yellow legs. I don't know what breed, age, sex, etc. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

This is a cute, yellow chick who has recently sprouted white adult feathers. Yellow, non-feathered legs. What is it??

[​IMG]

This is our favorite..I hope it's a she..black with small white dot on the back of her head. Someone from another post suggested BR banty. Any idea of age? Sex?

[​IMG]

The fourth chick is an unknown quantity. I don't have any idea on breed, if it's a mix, etc. Small, looks like it already has it's adult feathers, blue / grey in colour, green / grey featherless legs. Any suggestions??

[​IMG]

Thanks for your help.

2. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    wow that first one wooow. well yep a frizzle barred, or frizzled dominuque
    3 barred , is that a bantam size?
    last one looks like an blue old english game bantam

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  3. Jossy J

Feb 26, 2009
    Thanks for your reply. Yes the Frizzle is a bit scary but I just felt sorry for him..he was wet and dirty and yucky and he just seemed to end up in my box. Is he a normal looking frizzle or is something wrong with him? He doesn't seem to have any undercover feathers ie. his skin is bare.

What about the yellow chick?

Any other thoughts?

4. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Quote:i would say barred for sure. His frizzel is un-naturall if you ask me....maby it stemed from small confinement's and a stressfull life

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Looks like roosters to me, at least a couple of them do. The last looks like a Dominique and is a cockerel. The frizzle is a male, too. Not sure what the yellow one is.

6. Jossy J

Feb 26, 2009
    Yes, I thought the Frizzle was a rooster. And the blue one is showing signs of being a rooster too. So much for banty hens! They were all supposted to be bantys.

However, I did buy a beautiful silver laced cochin hen which is what I wanted. She is fitting in nicely with my small flock in the coop.

Any one else have an opinion on what the yellow chick is? He/she is now growing white tail feathers and the wing feathers are getting longer and remaining white without any markings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by