Mystery chicks in a duckling order ;)

AndreaS

Songster
11 Years
Mar 5, 2010
Hurdle Mills, NC
Hey guys!

So our friend ordered a few ducklings for his ornamental pond and the box arrives containing two CHICKS! He contacted us to see if we'd take them and we said yes. He was thinking that the small hatchery he ordered from threw them in as a "bonus" - insane and irresponsible!- I asked him to contact the hatchery and inquire about what breed they might be....and get this: the hatchery only raises ducks, not chickens! All they could figure is that perhaps something happened at the post office to a box of poor baby chicks and they threw the survivors in with the other peeping box they had available.
1f623.png

Anyway, I've been anxiously awaiting signs of what they could be...and this week they started developing crests! I've never had a crested chicken before, so I'm excited. I was looking at pics of chicks of all the crested breeds and none quite match up. Most of the pics I saw of black & white crested's had definitive black markings as chicks. These guys were more blond with a touch of grey. I thought I'd ask here just for fun. They are almost two weeks old now.

My husband keeps referring to them as my " immaculate conception" chicks!
1f602.png

Regardless, I know they were meant for me. Here's hoping that I don't have two roo's....and that my other hens don't intend to peck the new guys bald because they are different!

Thought I'd bring this to the experts....what do you guys think?!

They are very young , I don't know if they are Appenzeller Spitzhauben. I believe they are randomly spotted when feathered in. Yours seem to get getting barring instead

Yeah....and it just occured to me when reading about the Appenzeller Spitzhauben, these chicks are rather large. I know it's hard to guess at this stage, but it is fun to speculate :)

Back
Top Bottom