mystery chicks! PICS added!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by laughingllama75, Sep 20, 2008.

1. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    YAY! I had 3 little chicks hatch today, i have no idea what they are. Here is the scoop......
    I have 1 black cochin roo, he is the leader of the barnyard...he has a flock of bantam purebred hens that consist of:
    2 silkies
    2 RI Red
    2 mille fleur Belgian D'uccle
    1 mille fleur dutch
    3 black frizzle cochins
    2 black mottled cochins
    3 nankin

Ok....so, I keep my cochins seperate whe I want to breed...they have been molting for a month, so I let everyone mingle. I always take the eggs, if I am not hatching cochins (or my nankins).....somehow, my black silkie got to setting on 2 eggs. I had no idea she was on them, last I checked, she was on nothing. [​IMG] she has been all summer, literally. So, here's the dilemma. Usually, all my chicks are black.....since they are black based cochins. These guys are CHIPMUNK STRIPED!!!!!
    What the ??????? [​IMG]
    So, the only roo that could have gotten them, is my late Serama cockerel...... I did not think he was "doing anything" yet. Hmmmm....... I am so excited. can you tell? Sorry for the long post......[​IMG]

*I am wondering if my brassyback OEG pullet is laying.....she was in with my cockerel, they were hatched in march. Hmmm.....the chicks are the right size and color....legs will darkin in a day or two, I think. Hmmm.......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and here's "Momma Hen"
    [​IMG]

this is why I HATE letting the chickens mix.....I try to keep only purereds, but at this time of the year, with molting and all, I figured it was safe. darn it.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  2. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Ohh can you post pics? they sound pretty!

3. laughingllama75

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    I will tomorrow, I just saw them right before I posted. There were still recovering from hatching. Dry, but shaky. [​IMG] I just love little peeps!

4. laughingllama75

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    Ok, pics are added........and I found a third chick. Last night, I thought there were only 2. They are still SO cute!

5. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    ohh they are soo cute!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] Looks like the "baby chick/chipmunk fairy" paid a visit to your coop! LOL [​IMG] [​IMG]

Congrats! I would be happy if I were you, even if you weren't expecting them and were hoping to have purebreds only. [​IMG]

6. laughingllama75

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    Oh, I am happy with them, what I cant stand is NOT KNOWING what they are. Besides cute, LOL. [​IMG]

7. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    hehehe! you're right on that one! LOL [​IMG]
    They look like quail chicks! [​IMG]

OH OH I KNOW!!! They are chipmunk chicks! [​IMG]

8. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    OH my goodness!! those are GORGEOUS CHICKIES!!

Um, yea, just pop em in a box and mail em on over!! LOLOL

9. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Quote:ROTFLMAO! I'm up for that!

10. laughingllama75

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    thanks everyone for the complients on my new little peeps. They are so cute. [​IMG] pretty good for a surprise, eh?
    tonight, they were wobbling around momma hen, who was showing them the food and water. She is such a good broody, even if she is a silkie......... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by