mystery chicks! PICS added!

laughingllama75

Songster
11 Years
Feb 13, 2008
NH
YAY! I had 3 little chicks hatch today, i have no idea what they are. Here is the scoop......
I have 1 black cochin roo, he is the leader of the barnyard...he has a flock of bantam purebred hens that consist of:
2 silkies
2 RI Red
2 mille fleur Belgian D'uccle
1 mille fleur dutch
3 black frizzle cochins
2 black mottled cochins
3 nankin

Ok....so, I keep my cochins seperate whe I want to breed...they have been molting for a month, so I let everyone mingle. I always take the eggs, if I am not hatching cochins (or my nankins).....somehow, my black silkie got to setting on 2 eggs. I had no idea she was on them, last I checked, she was on nothing.
sad.png
she has been all summer, literally. So, here's the dilemma. Usually, all my chicks are black.....since they are black based cochins. These guys are CHIPMUNK STRIPED!!!!!
What the ???????
big_smile.png

So, the only roo that could have gotten them, is my late Serama cockerel...... I did not think he was "doing anything" yet. Hmmmm....... I am so excited. can you tell? Sorry for the long post......
yippiechickie.gif

*I am wondering if my brassyback OEG pullet is laying.....she was in with my cockerel, they were hatched in march. Hmmm.....the chicks are the right size and color....legs will darkin in a day or two, I think. Hmmm.......
mysterychick1.jpg

mystery3.jpg

mystery.jpg

and here's "Momma Hen"
bluesilkie.jpg

this is why I HATE letting the chickens mix.....I try to keep only purereds, but at this time of the year, with molting and all, I figured it was safe. darn it.

Last edited:
I will tomorrow, I just saw them right before I posted. There were still recovering from hatching. Dry, but shaky.
big_smile.png
I just love little peeps!

Ok, pics are added........and I found a third chick. Last night, I thought there were only 2. They are still SO cute!

ohh they are soo cute!!!
love.gif
big_smile.png
Looks like the "baby chick/chipmunk fairy" paid a visit to your coop! LOL
gig.gif
lau.gif

Congrats! I would be happy if I were you, even if you weren't expecting them and were hoping to have purebreds only.
big_smile.png

hehehe! you're right on that one! LOL
gig.gif

They look like quail chicks!
hu.gif

OH OH I KNOW!!! They are chipmunk chicks!
lau.gif

OH my goodness!! those are GORGEOUS CHICKIES!!

Um, yea, just pop em in a box and mail em on over!! LOLOL

thanks everyone for the complients on my new little peeps. They are so cute.
ya.gif
pretty good for a surprise, eh?
tonight, they were wobbling around momma hen, who was showing them the food and water. She is such a good broody, even if she is a silkie.........
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom