mystery chicks **PICS**

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by superchickie, Aug 20, 2007.

1. superchickie

superchickie New Egg

Aug 20, 2007
    Hello all... I need some help figuring out what kind of chicks we have. I'm going to try to post some pic's in a little while, I'm sure that will help.

The ones I can't figure out are kind of a light buff color with darker (brown) feathers that almost looked barred or penciled coming in. They have barely any comb at all at this point. They are aprox. 5-6 weeks old. I don't even know if they are male or female yet!

Also, do both male and female have the teeny spur "spot" on their legs and just the male's spot turns into a spur?? I have heard conflicting thoughts on this one.

These are my first chicks so I'm trying to figure all this stuff out. The website has been a huge help to me!

Thanks alot! I will post pic's soon!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  2. superchickie

superchickie New Egg

Aug 20, 2007
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are my mystery chickies. I wondering about the buff colored ones, and what breed they might be. Also, the black chicks...do you think I have one girl and one roo? They are the same age, both have combs, but one is bigger than the other.

Thank you so much for helping me with this!

Karen

3. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    hmmmmmm

maybe just maybe you have wyondottes

and the one with the redest biggest conb is a boy.

4. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Nope not Wyandottes look more like Red-Sexlink to me. Pretty chicks you got there!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    white laced red cornish

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, you have one boy in the back there! You are right about the spur spots, on males they will grow, on females they usually dont ever grow.

7. superchickie

superchickie New Egg

Aug 20, 2007
    Thanks a bunch for your wisdom! I'd be happy if we only had one roo! He'll have to go since we can't have roosters though... We also have a gigantic, and I mean huge, white chick that I suspect is a cornishX (also might be a roo). He/she never never leaves the feed for long, just sits in front of the feeder and eats. We got these chicks at a county fair. They were giving them away. They had been in a brooder display thingie. They came from McMurray as a donation to the 4H clubs. I thought there would be alot of roosters in that brooder, but for free I took a chance! So 1 or 2 roo's out of 6 would be a wonderful surprise!

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

That would be great. Maybe MM was nice enough to donate a bunch of pullets since it was for 4h? Gong to eat that cornishx?

9. superchickie

superchickie New Egg

Aug 20, 2007
    No, we're too attached to her to eat her/him. But will gladly give him/her away to someone else who might![​IMG]

10. superchickie

superchickie New Egg

Aug 20, 2007
    Pine Grove, I looked it up and I think you might be right about the White Laced Red Cornish. [​IMG] Do these birds suffer the same get-big-and-die life as CornishX's? I already know I have one of those [​IMG][​IMG].

Also, how do you tell male and female with White Laced Red Cornish with the pea comb? Wouldn't they look about the same?

Also while looking through breeds and stuff....could the black chicks be White Faced Spanish's? I read that they can be noisy...?

thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by