Mystery chicks! Take a look and help me figure out their gender.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by welovechickens, Jul 7, 2011.

1. welovechickens

welovechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I got these two chicks from a friend. They're 10 weeks old tomorrow, and have been crowing since they were 2 weeks old! I'm not convinced that one of them is a roo, though.

This one is the odd one out. I thought it was an Araucana at first because it doesn't have a tail stump, but it finally grew about 3 long feathers a bit off-center that look like a tail. I'm pretty sure this one is a roo, and I'm worried it may have some sort of genetic or heart problem due to some issues it had when it was tiny.

[​IMG]

This is the one I suspect could be a hen, even though it crows very nicely. The comb is very small, and there are no wattles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks to anyone who wants to help me guess!

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    ee roo with tail and could be araucana cross or pure some get a few tail feathers some have whole tails but a roo too

3. welovechickens

Mar 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I forgot to add that these chickens came from a flock of RIR's and EE's, and since neither of them have beards or "ear flaps", I suspect they're cross-breeds instead of straight EE. Unless you think 10 weeks is still to early to show a beard? I have no idea...

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    ROOSTERS!!! Sorry not hens:(

5. welovechickens

Mar 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    [​IMG] I was afraid of that. We really shouldn't keep roos here in our neighborhood, but if I give them back to who I got them from, they will be eaten. Waaah!

6. welovechickens

Mar 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    They are both very sweet-tempered, too! [​IMG]

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:I know, They always are at that age:( I'm sorry [​IMG]

8. welovechickens

Mar 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Thanks everyone....it makes me sad, but I need to get it over with as quick as I can. My friend will let me trade them out for two pullets from the same batch of chicks these came from. I just don't want to be the one eating them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by