1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mystery Chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FarmGirl21, Nov 6, 2008.

1. FarmGirl21

FarmGirl21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    WA
    Had to bring these guys inside tonight because the weather has been so crappy. I'm not sure what sex's they are. I think it's a roo & 2 hens but apparently I can't trust my wishful thinking, lol. I believe they're somewhere around 2 months, not positive though.

White-cream colored with small specks of gray/black & some barring on random feathers. Legs are sort of short-looking and pink, single combs. FAT bodies [​IMG]...VERY FRIENDLY!!

Pecker, Speck, Flint

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Wow they are pretty healthy there!! [​IMG] Maybe splash orpingtons? I love splashes...

Cindy

3. FarmGirl21

Sep 16, 2008
    WA
    They were starting to feel a little thin...i think the bigger chickens weren't letting them eat much...maybe my little hen too, she's a witch at the feeder. They finished almost the whole jar feeder now..they should be plump again in no time [​IMG].

they seem to be much happier inside, even though theyre stuck in the small cage at the moment. gonna try n find something bigger tomorrow. When i first brought them in the immediately navigated the chicken wire on the other brooders top to go steal those babies warm lamp light, lol.

Any more guesses on gender & breed anyone?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  4. FarmGirl21

Sep 16, 2008
    WA
    Anyone have any ideas or guesses?
    They could be mixes but they all look the same, some are just more spotty then the other...

5. ggrap

ggrap Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    Colorado
    Where did you get them?

6. FarmGirl21

Sep 16, 2008
    WA
    i got them from a local auction, A guy brought in over 200 birds. I talked to him a little bit since he was right in front of me. I bought them as buff chicks but didn't know what breed or sex. He wasnt sure of the sexes but i forgot to ask him what breed. I sold 2 to a guy that came late, for his little daughter & made some of the money i paid on them back. All his other birds were marked as purebred but the guineas, they were assorted colors.

7. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    California White? They are white with black "specks" throughout. I have only seen pictures of them though..... [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. ggrap

ggrap Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    Colorado
    They look like meat birds or a meat bird cross to me, that is why I was asking. Are they having any trouble walking? My best educated guess is that you have 2 cockerels and a pullet.

9. FarmGirl21

Sep 16, 2008
    WA
    I've never heard of a California White, I saw a picture of an older bird in this forum, i think he was a Delaware, i think that's what these guys might be, still not sure though. They're walking just fine and getting around well too. I set them in the sink just a little bit ago to wash off some of the dirt on their legs while i cleaned the cage out. They're really mellow, I guess they're a lot more comfortable now that they're warm enough inside though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by