Mystery chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SunAngel, Mar 6, 2009.

1. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I put 10 eggs under my insistent broody black Silkie 21 days ago. Checked the eggs I could see into on day 10 and got rid of 5 of them. They were random eggs I bought at the auction because most of them were gree/blue. I checked on her this morning and all 4 of the green eggs had pips. No pip in the cream colored egg yet. I brought momma and the eggs inside and about an hour later....Juno has a little baby!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is all the babies together...oddly enough they all lined up in the order they hatched...first at the top, last at the end of the line.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  2. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    A second chick has hatched, but its still wet yet. Looks like the first one, but the first one has a single comb and the new one has a flat EE comb. So weird lol The pips in the other 2 eggs are bigger, tan egg has no pip yet [​IMG]

3. tabatha_westcott

tabatha_westcott Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    So cuuuuute!

4. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Congrats!! [​IMG]

5. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Thanks [​IMG]

Found some pics of Australorp chicks, that look very similar. Hmmm wonder if its an Aus/EE mix.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  6. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Chick #3 has hatched and it is all black [​IMG] I will update the pics as soon as these guys all fluff up! One more green egg to go and still no sign of pippage from the tan egg.

I was wrong about chick #3. It looks almost like the first 2 and #4 just hatched and looks the same too. Candled the tan egg and it was liquidified inside. Oh well, I am happy with 4 new little chicks. As long as a couple of them turn out to be pullets [​IMG]

To make these chicks even more perplexing, 3 of the 4 have 5 toes.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by