Mystery Chicks?

minna

Songster
11 Years
Oct 15, 2008
Burnsville, MS
I set some of my own eggs with my Silkie eggs I purchased. I didn't write mark them, I have now started marking them, but it doesn't help me with these. They technically should be Buff Orphington. B/c that's all I thought I set, maybe some production red, although I didn't think I set any of those. I'm thinking my dh put an egg in the carton to set that was really supposed to go in the carton to eat, or I am just crazy. Anyway, I am pretty sure I didn't have any outside eggs other than the silkies in this hatch, I have buff orphingtons, Rhode Island Reds (at the time they were in with a New Hamp REd roo, so the chicks would be production) and
I don't think my EE was laying yet, when I set these. Those are the only ones I have that these could be.

This one, see how dark and the dark lines and spots, I thought it was gonna be BO, but then it dried.
100_2907.jpg

Same thing here, it has reddish brown spots on it's head.
100_2904.jpg

This one is the one that really has me stumped.The middle one.I thought it was a silky at first, but nope.
100_2911.jpg

I think that is all of them I am unsure of, it not, all but the one are probably the same, the striped one.
Are these production red? I've never had production red chicks.

They look like they could be production reds. They're not quite as red as my RIR chicks from McMurray were, which tells me they could be half NHR like your'e thinking.

What color is that silkie?

Yeah, I've decided those have to be production red, they can't be anything else. There is no silkie in those pictures, the one with the stripe on it's back is the one I thought was a silkie, except there are no feathers on it's feet. It's the same size and I can't think of what else it would be, I need to do an egg count, then I will know.

It's not from the silkie eggs, I have 13 chicks and 2 unhatched eggs. I set 15 silkie eggs, so it has to be something from my pens....

Back
Top Bottom