Mystery Chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Moonwalker, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Moonwalker

Moonwalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2008
    Washburn, MO
    I still have 4 that I haven't been able to ID.
    So far my "10 assorted rare breeds have turned out to be 2 Eygyptian Fayoumis, 4 Buttercups and these guys.
    I have narrowed the 12 "Brown egg layers" to either BO's or New Hampshires. I'm leaning towards BO's becasue the feathers on the wings are coming in a very light, well, BUFF color!
    Here are my UFO's. Anybody have any ideas?
    The first has me totally stumped.
    [​IMG]
    These 2 have similar markings to the EE's but no fluffy parts, and they just look distinct from them. Very sleek little guys. (or girls, I hope!)
    [​IMG]
    After looking through the chick pics on Cackles site to see what breeds they have, I am leaning towards German Spitzhauben for these 2. I hope they are, they are cool looking birds!

2. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    No clue on the breed, but they are adorable![​IMG]

3. IrkanInvader89

IrkanInvader89 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2008
    Within The Matrix
    The first one is an Old English Game bantam. Not quite sure on color variety though. Almost looks like a BRown Breasted Red. The second one is more difficult to tell, but you could be right with the Spitzhauben. Cute chicks!

4. cooliseo

cooliseo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Rainbow
    It might not be what I am going to say but... I think the first one is an easter egger. Some of the easter egger chicks we hatched looked like that. It's just a guess though.

5. UnttouchableRose

UnttouchableRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Blountville, TN
    I think I would guess EE too. I had a chick from last year's batch that has no tuffs/muffs (whatever you call them) on her she just looks like a plain chicken but lays one of the prettiest green eggs I get.

Not sure on the second one though...

6. Moonwalker

Jan 9, 2008
    Washburn, MO
    But that is supposed to be one of the 10 assorted rare breeds chicks! Unless, they consider the EE's to be in that catagory and threw in a couple extra. I have 11 that are DEFINATELY EE's

7. Hawkster318

Hawkster318 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2007
    North Freedom Wisconsin
    Hmm, no 2 sorta resembles our little SS Hamburg.

Here is an early picture

[​IMG]

and a later one...

[​IMG]

I'm not sure, but that is what your picture reminded me of.

HTH

8. Moonwalker

Jan 9, 2008
    Washburn, MO
    Quote:mine seems to have more whit than black, yours is opposite. but getting coser!

9. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I am suprised no one has said phoenix for the first one. When we got a collection of layers from MM, one was a phoenix. We breed phoenix bantams, and the first one looks just like our light brown(black breasted red) phoenix. It would make sense because they are good layers of white eggs.

10. Moonwalker

Jan 9, 2008
    Washburn, MO
    WooHoo! Someone else thinks it's a Phoenix! I went back through all the pics on Cackle's website of the rare breeds and I thought it looked like the pics of the Silver Phoenix chicks
    day-old Silver Phoenix (Cackle website pic)
    [​IMG]
    My UFO
    at 5 days
    [​IMG]
    At 11 days
    [​IMG]
    All the pics I've seen of Phoenix chicks have the same distinct shape to the eye markings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by