1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mystery Chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HEChicken, Jan 31, 2011.

1. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I've had fun the past three weeks, incubating some eggs from a local chicken farmer, as a test hatch of my home-made incubator. It was not until they started to hatch that it occurred to me I had no idea what the parents were, and therefore no idea what the chicks would look like. Here I am two days after hatch, still wondering. I just talked to the lady I got them from again and learned that the rooster is a Rhode Island Red. The hens however are a mixed bunch so it will be interesting to see how these chicks grow up. One of them is a little yellow chick that I know will grow up to be white. I'm figuring the possible mothers are: White Leghorn, White Rock, Wyandotte or? The chick has a single comb and pink legs which I think rules out Rhode Island White. Does anyone know which white breeds tend to have pink legs and single combs?

2. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    The yellow chicks will proubly be a roo since the daddy is a Rhode Island Red over alot of white hens.As to the Wyandotte uhm i would have to look and see real fast brb...
    EDIT:
    Ok if the hen was a sliver laced Wyandotte if the chick is yellow its probly a roo as well.So proubly little red chicks are pullets and yellows roos.now if it was gold lace Wyandotte then all chicks will be red from that pairing.

Light sussex have pink legs and single comb

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  3. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Buff orpingtons have white legs and single combs.

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Thanks PDSavage - from the little I knew, I was figuring it might mean its a roo too. Darn - I wouldn't have minded adding a white hen to the flock for the color variety but unfortunately, living in suburbia, roos are outlawed so I won't be able to keep him.

Pinky - thanks! I have come to quite like my BO's and they are awesome layers but this chick is yellow, not buff, so I really doubt it will turn out to be a BO.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by