mystery chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by casunbum, Jun 6, 2011.

1. casunbum

casunbum Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2011
    Hi all, I just acquired 6 baby chicks to start my own backyard flock. 4 of these chicks were hatched from eggs I brought home from my brother in OR. I grabbed 6 eggs all together but only 4 hatched. Not sure which is which. Anyone have any ideas?
    I grabbed some blue Americauna/EE, Wyandotte and Welsummer eggs.
    The chicks are now one week old.
    The daddy is a beautiful crossbreed. Not exactly sure what he is crossed with but we think maybe Wyandotte/welsummer with a little something else in there.
    Here is the Daddy.
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here are the chicks all together.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is chick #1 (zsa zsa) she has chipmunk cheeks if you can't tell
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick #2 (skunk) possible wellsummer?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick #3 (peanut) chipmunk cheeks on this one as well, also the only one with tail feathers so far..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Up until this point I had thought she was a he.. reason being, she is the loudest and the least friendly with people. She also would normally stand up taller than the rest and pretty dominant amongst the others (even the older chicks not pictured).

Chick #4 (chunky) the runt
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So what do you all think?
    Personality wise, peanut is the most dominant and is always in everyone elses business. Skunk is a little more skittesh but laid back with the others. Zsa Zsa is a sweetheart and cute as can be. Chunky is way behind the others in feather growth and adaptability, though so sweet. She/he will fall asleep when you pick him up.. which is exactly what happened in the pics above.

2. chadr7850

chadr7850 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    The one with the tail feathers is most likely a roo from what i know but i think roos are suppose to be more personable but i have had really antisocial roos to. The best thing to look for is comb and wattle development. my rooster started to get a comb on him in about 2 weeks and started to crow in about 8 weeks (Mille Fleur D'uccle) and i also noticed that he wouldnt get away from the hen.

3. casunbum

May 31, 2011
    Really? I thought the pullets grew their tail feathers in quicker than the cockerels?

4. casunbum

May 31, 2011
    here are some updated pics of all the chooks... minus Chunky. RIP. He didn't make it past week 3 for unknown reasons. [​IMG] So sad.
    I believe #1 is my only roo.....
    let me know what you think.

#1 EE possible roo
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with <a target='_blank' href='http://imageshack.us'>ImageShack.us</a>
    [​IMG]

#2 Welsummer cross
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#3 EE on the left
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The two EE's together
    [​IMG]

All of the chicks together with their buddies i picked up at the local feed store. Two australorps and one speckled sussex pullets.
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic that shoes the true color of #1's comb

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by