Mystery Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rhode Island Rita, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Rhode Island Rita

Rhode Island Rita Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    Well, we got our chicks in the mail a few days ago and the order seems to have been all wrong! Two were missing and the ones that are there aren't exactly what we ordered. They're still ridiculously cute, though! We've identified most of them, but there are these four who look exactly the same and we can't find a conclusive answer to what they are. I thought they looked like some phoenix chicks I saw, but the hatchery only lets you begin to order them midway through November.

Any ideas, folks? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. WhiteCochinLover

WhiteCochinLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2011
    Maryland
    RIR? maybe

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    There are lots of chicks with chipmunk striping so I'm afraid it will be very difficult to guess until some feathers are coming in.

4. Rhode Island Rita

Rhode Island Rita Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    Chipmunks! I knew they reminded me of something, but I couldn't put a finger on it. My mom's been calling them bumblebees. [​IMG]

Thanks to WhiteCochinLover for the suggestion.

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I got four chicks three months ago from the feed store, and they looked just like your little poster chick there. I asked an employee what they were, and he said, "all they tell us is that they're 'manager's choice' ".

I figured they were probably EE's, since they have chipmunk striping. But around four weeks, they began to get spangles in their feathering. Turns out I have Speckled Sussex. So, there are two possibilities for your mystery chick right there.

6. gogododo

gogododo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2008
    i'd say RIR as well, as mine looked very similar when i got them.

7. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG] How Cute is that? You could call the hatchery and tell them they sent the wrong order and you will more than likely get yours and this to keep [​IMG]

8. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    If your chick had cheek puffs and greenish legs, that would strongly suggest Easter Egger but I'm not seeing those. I don't believe RIR or SS chicks ever have this type of striping (see the black and light bars in there?) If you look up "duckwing chicken", you'll get a basic idea of the color scheme. But that doesn't tell you what breed your chick is, it only limits the possibilities.

9. LynninOK

LynninOK Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    Claremore, Oklahoma
    I saw some EE chicks recently that looked like that. It also looks very much like my Gold Penciled Hamburg when she was a baby.

10. Sherrykinney

Sherrykinney New Egg

May 14, 2011
    looks like my gold laced wyandotte

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by