????mystery chicks?????

scrapmom5

Songster
11 Years
Apr 21, 2008
Utah
I have five new little girls. They are roughly about 5 or 6 weeks old. One is a RIR and is not pictured. The other four I am not sure on. Please help me identify them.

Here is chick #1. She has greenish legs and is mostly white with 2 or 3 black spots. My guess was a white ameraucana.

100_2160.jpg

100_2166.jpg

Here is chick #2 She is smaller and cream colored. She also has greenish legs. She also has the muff on her face. I think she is also an ameraucana.
100_2162.jpg

100_2167.jpg

This is chick #3. She has a brown head that fades down to a light neck and dark body feathers. She also has greenish legs. Do only ameraucanas have greenish legs?
100_2164.jpg

This is chick #3 and #4.
100_2159.jpg

Chick #4 is a small gray chick. I have no clue as to what breed she is.

100_2163.jpg

100_2165.jpg

Last edited:
#3 is one of my favorites. In order to get the chicks we had to catch them and we chased her across 3 farms fields. I really wanted her. What color are true ameraucanas? Do only EE's have the greenish legs? Are EE's ameraucana hybrids?

Well now that I know my ameraucana's are ee what are the other mystery birds? Only #3 has been identified as an EE. I suspect 1 and 2 are also EE but am not sure. I just do not want them to be Leghorns. What is the gray one? Help.

Last edited:
Please help me identify chick number 2 & 4. I believe the other two to be EE's. Number two may also be an EE but I am not sure...as for 4 I have no idea. She is so cute and friendly please help me identify her.
jumpy.gif

Quote:
I have found out that Ameraucanas who are Wheatens or Blue Wheatens may temporarily go through a green-leg phase when young. As chicks, Wheaten and Blue-Wheaten Ameraucanas have orange legs. The legs gradually change to slate and may go through a greenish stage.
However, some Wheaten & Blue Wheaten supposed-to-be-Ameraucanas can end up with incorrect gene combinations and end up with legs that are permanently green, and these become classified as Easter Eggers so are disqualified from shows.
That said, if you have a chick that is Ameraucana-ish and has green legs, it's still HIGHLY likely that it is an Easter Egger.

Back
Top Bottom