Mystery Chicks

kaykaypw

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 31, 2011
Napa, CA
I've started selling chicks from eggs hatched by a friend. She is collecting from her own pens, but she did not label the eggs or remember exactly how many of each from which pen went into what incubator.
Hard lesson learned, I have a lot of mystery chicks.
Can anyone give their best guess on these chicks?

What about these?

It might help to list the "potential" breeds these could be.I know I have seen the first chicks in a pic somewhere but can't for the life of me remember.

Hi,
They could be from these breeds:
Barnevelder
Black Copper Maran
Black Langshan
Black Sumatra
Blue Splash Maran
Columbian Wyandotte
Cuckoo Maran
Dark Cornish
Dominiques
Exchequer Leghorn
Golden Campine
Lakenvelder
Golden Spangled Hamburg
Partridge Penedesenca
Silver Dorking
Silver Spangled Hamburg
Speckled Sussex
Welsummer

I REALLY wish these eggs had been labeled. My type A personality can not handle chaos like this.

silver hamburgs for the first to as for the 2nd pic what type of combs do they have? im thinking blue splash marans and a partridge penedesence

Interesting pick with the Silver Hamburgs. I thought that was maybe what they were, but most pics online show them as more uniformly slate over yellow without spots on the heads. We do have white wing tips showing up tonight. Time will tell...

As for the next pic, I did guess Blue Splash Maran and the other Penedesenca. I'm hoping I'm right! The suspected Penedesenca look like tiny quail. Much smaller bodied than all the other birds. Is that typical? Does anyone have any pics matching these that I could look at?

Thanks!
K

what type of combs do they have? that could take out a few options on that list as you have a list of breeds with more than just single combs

the chick on the right on the second photo looks like a golden campine to me. I have two right now that look like that, see my link, pic of when they were a few days old:

http://flickr.com/gp/sole_r/4CK4HY

also, if you go on mypetchicken.com and search by breed they have pics of all the chicks.

Last edited:
I crossed through the ones, that they should not be.

Barnevelder - if these are hatchery stock, there is a possibility that this is what the 2nd pic, right chick is, however, it should not have a "V" on it's head and the legs should be yellow, but I have seen some that look exactly like this at our feed store and they are "Barnies"
Black Copper Maran - maybe 2nd pic left chick
Black Langshan
Black Sumatra
Blue Splash Maran
- the ones I saw are much more grey not so much Black that is why I said Black Copper Maran
Columbian Wyandotte
Cuckoo Maran
Dark Cornish
Dominiques

Exchequer Leghorn - pretty sure these are your first 2
Golden Campine
Lakenvelder
Golden Spangled Hamburg

Partridge Penedesenca - most likely chick on right in 2nd pic
Silver Dorking
Silver Spangled Hamburg
Speckled Sussex

Welsummer - another "maybe" for the chick on right in 2nd pic, but I really think it is a Partridge Penedesenca.

depending on whats in the blue splash marans pen it could be just a blue marans...again need to know what type of combs they have

theses are penedesence
PartrPeneChix.JPEG

these are campine

GoldCampChix3days.JPEG

Back
Top Bottom