mystery chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HumanChirpyMama, Dec 12, 2014.

1. HumanChirpyMama

HumanChirpyMama Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2014
    bradford, NY
    So I hatched some store bought eating eggs from the local natural food store. I ended up with these two little ones, a boy and a girl. They're the cutest little chicks I've ever seen, but I'm clueless as to what breed they are. Mom thought EEs but who knows.
    Anyone have any guesses? They're tiny, but hatched from pretty normal sized eggs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Curious how you know male & female chicks? What color eggs did they hatch from? I don't see any muffs like EE would have.

3. HumanChirpyMama

HumanChirpyMama Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2014
    bradford, NY
    My dad did the day old sexing. Looked at their little butts and could see their boy/girl bits. He did it twice, and seemed pretty certain.
    They hatched from light brown eggs. No feathers on their feet, and really beautiful black pattern on their backs. I'm stumped, haha.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm not quite sure what they are, but I don't think they are Easter Eggers (no green legs, muff/beard). They look like they will be similar to the Light-Brown or Black Breasted Red color pattern when they feather in. Many breeds come in those colors, so it is hard to be sure what they are at this age. I would post some more photos when they are at least 4-6 weeks old and more feathered in, for some better guesses.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm guessing something production red based, or red sex link crosses. It's impossible to know what rooster could have been running with the hens. Once they feather out fully post again, I'm curious to see how they turn out. At that point we can make a better guess for breed or mix.

7. jane s chickens

jane s chickens Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2014
    Alabama
    Need better pictures, but could we wellsommers with the brown on top of head, black line running through eye and dark back. Look like male wellsommers, not EE since they have yellow legs and no muff or beard. Post pictures taken from the top.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by