Mystery Chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SimmyChicky, Dec 26, 2014.

1. SimmyChicky

SimmyChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2014
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    heres the story:
    My boyfriend went for a trip to pick up a couple polish hens from a family friend, and one of his neighbors gave us "Easter Egger Eggs"
    A couple of them were a pale olive color and the rest were a very light blue color. Which seemed Easter/Olive egger enough to us.

The chicks all hatched today. They are black in color with a bit of yellow/white under the chins and under sides
    3 of the 4 black chicks have extra toes. There is a yellow chick has 1 extra toe on a foot
    They also have a bit of feathers on the feet as well...
    Since they have traits that easter eggers don't normally have, I'd have to guess we got some kind of mix on our hands?

From the same person, we received two chicks who are a few weeks older than the other ones. Again a black one with feathery feet with extra toes, and a yellow/white one with odd black feathers in a couple places, slightly feathered feet, but no extra toes. They could be the same mix as the chicks but we are unsure if they came from the same parents.

This is a real mystery to us since we we told we were getting easter eggers. We didn't pay for them, and plan on keeping them either way. But would really like to know what we have :)

[​IMG] 5 Chicks, 3 of the black ones have extra toes. The Yellow one has an extra toe on 1 foot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] The one black chicky with normal amount of toes

[​IMG]

[​IMG] This is Mickey, our older chick. Extra toes and feathered legs. And slightly puffy feathers on head.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Minnie, Mickeys possible sibling who is same age. Has little feathers on legs as well, but no extra toes. a few odd black feathers in some spots.. The baby chick in the above photos also shows a few odd black spots in its down as well

[​IMG]
    Mickey and Minnie are atleast a month old, not sure if they are old enough or not to be sexed, but if its possible to sex them now let me know :)

If anyone could help with any questions I have, that would be greatly appreciated :)

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My thought is there's a silkie mix rooster running with those hens. Probably not pure silkie, or I'd expect more 5 toed and black skin.

Why not just ask the friends you got the eggs from?

3. SimmyChicky

May 21, 2014
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    We don't exactly have a means to contact them right now, and they don't know a whole lot about chickens and breeds.
    They did have a silkie rooster from what I've heard, so thats quite possible

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree with this guess.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X3

7. SimmyChicky

May 21, 2014
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Update:
    We managed to find the chicks's hatchery. The person said that the two older chicks are olive eggers, but I agree that they are mixed with silkies.

As I was looking at the list of breeds they have:
    Salmon Faverolles
    Sizzles
    Blue/Black Copper Marans
    Olive Eggers
    Leghorn/Barred Plymouth Rock
    and that SIlkie rooster I mentioned that they've had for a little while

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop