Mystery Chicks.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by afre13, Mar 9, 2015.

1. afre13

afre13 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2013
    So, I went to Co-op the other day and picked up two buff orpington, and two silver-laced wyandotte chicks. Afterwards, I went to Tractor Supply looking for barred rock chicks. The lady said they had a brooder of "mystery" chicks. She said the chicks came with their delivery, but there wasn't any information with them. She said they could be barred rock, silver laced wyandottes, or Australorps, but as I looked over to the brooder that said "black sex link" they looked almost exactly the same. So long story short, I broke down and bought six of the mystery chicks.

I am hoping they are barred rocks, but I doubt it because they are lacking the yellow dot on their head that barred rock chicks have.

They may be SLW but the SLW I already have dont have nearly the same amount of yellow feathers these chicks do.

So all and all I am going to the conclusion that they are black sex links. I am really hoping they aren't because I don't find them to be a particularly visually appealing breed. I already have a view golden comets and don't care to have more sex link chickens.

If anyone could help me by giving me some guesses as to what they might be, I would greatly appreciate it. [​IMG]

2. K Spot

K Spot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    SE Qld, Australia
    Can you post some pics?

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    If they are lacking the white spot on top of their heads, they are definitely not Barred Rocks. Female Black Sex Link chicks and Black Australorp chicks look very similar, both lacking the white spot on the tops of their black heads. If they do turn out to be Black Sex Links, the good news is that you will have some hardy and friendly, egg laying machines. I've raised Black Sex Links for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids, including those mentioned in your post), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. I've been especially impressed with their persistence in laying in really cold winter weather. Also, my Black Sex Links have generally been friendlier than my Red Sex Links (Golden Comets). Whatever breed they turn out to be, good luck with your new chicks.

4. afre13

Mar 9, 2013
    [​IMG][/IMG]

5. afre13

Mar 9, 2013
    [​IMG]

6. afre13

Mar 9, 2013
    They have black legs, but yellow toes

7. LotsOLopsChicks

LotsOLopsChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2015
    Virginia
    Australorp. Mine from TSC out of the 'mystery bin' aka 'specialty bin' look very simialr. They did set the egg laying record, so hope for girls!

8. afre13

Mar 9, 2013

After doing some more looking, that's the conclusion I was coming to. I really hope they are hens haha. Thank you so much for your help!

9. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Black leg + yellow toes= Jersey Giants

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yours appear to have pink toes.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013