mystery cochin color?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AprilW, Feb 25, 2012.

1. AprilW

AprilW Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    north Georgia
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Came with my Bantam Cochin order. I have a few of these chicks, they are almost 2 weeks old now. They started out buff or possibly a shade darker than the "true" buffs. As they've gotten their feathers I see "barring" and even some of the chicks appear to have white coming in. What color is it? I started to think gold laced but it doesn't look like photos online nor does it look laced. It looks barred to me.

Were chicks of a different breed accidentally included?

If it helps they are from IDEAL poultry.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  2. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Have you tried going to the Ideal site and looking at the colors they have available. Most times, you can match your chick to their pics and you have your answer :)

3. brahmamomma

brahmamomma Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2012
    its so cute!

4. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    So, I checked all the cochins on Ideal's website...none fit the chick you have there....and then I checked the other feather footed bantam breeds and they don't fit either.

I would guess that someone got into the pen of someone else and it's a mix of cochin colors. Maybe you might want to contact Ideal and see what they have to say :)

Good luck!

5. AprilW

Feb 7, 2011
    north Georgia
    Yes I've looked at all the chick photos. That's why I'm asking here. ;) I can try emailing Ideal about it.

6. evenstargirl

evenstargirl Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    What about wheaton?

7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    My Cochins from Ideal are LF, but they look alot like yours. They are supposed to be red. They're a little older than these pics, and have darkened up a little, but still don't really look red to me. More like a dark buff. They also have a little white and some smutty brownish spots.
    When I first got them:
    [​IMG]
    What they looked like about a week ago, not the best pics....sorry:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. AprilW

Feb 7, 2011
    north Georgia
    Oh wow they do look like yours. Ideal sells red bantam Cochins but I didn't expect them to get black markings. I guess that's what threw me off. Thank you!!

9. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    You're welcome! I'm hoping all that white and brown is going to go away. They change alot as they grow, and I was really hoping for some fluffy reds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by