Mystery Cochins?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ckchicksVa, Jun 19, 2011.

1. ckchicksVa

ckchicksVa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    I bought these chicks back in early May--supposed to be partridge cochins. One of them looks just like a partridge cochin, but two of them look like this.... what color is this? (Ignore the Mille Fleurs in the background!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!

Christine

2. gunnarmcc

gunnarmcc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    SSF, CA
    IMO you are looking at a pullet and a cockerel. it looks like it could be a partridge color pattern but im sure someone with more knowledge will chime in on this

3. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    It looks to me like you have some birds from the early stages of someone's project to raise Milliflur Cochins.

4. Moose The Ameraucana

Moose The Ameraucana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Seattle
    The one that is dark colored brown is probably a roo but the rest look like pullets [​IMG]

5. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I don't think any of those are Partridge Cochins...

6. Frizzle Farmer

Frizzle Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Calhan, CO
    I dont know what they are (sorry), but they really dont look like any of the partridge I've seen

7. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Your D'Uccle pair is very cute. I think you've got a pair of Cochins too but I don't know what that color is. It definitely is not partridge. Maybe it is the start of a mille fleur color project or a calico???? Definitely interesting.

8. ckchicksVa

Jun 19, 2011
    Thanks for the ideas/guesses. I suppose I shouldn't feel too ignorant for not knowing what color they are if they're not really any pattern!

The roo, unfortunately, has an injured leg (his ankle seems to be dislocated), but he has been getting around pretty much OK. It's been injured since I got him (about 6 weeks ago) and it took me a while to figure out what/where the injury was. I keep thinking I should try to fix the joint, but I'm a bit too squeamish--I *know* it will hurt him to try and he's been getting around OK.

9. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    umm it would be better to replace the joint, really. even if he seems "okay" he's probably in a lot of pain, chickens are good at hiding that. it's all about survival. if your squeamish ask someone else to help you. yes it wil hurt him at first, then he'll get better. i don't like to hear about people not helping thier animals just cause they don't want to, no offense or anything, that's just what i think [​IMG]:

10. ckchicksVa

Jun 19, 2011
    Quote:No, I agree with you, so no offense taken.

I will have to get someone to help--I just don't know much about dislocated joints, or if I am even right about what the problem is. And I don't know at what point it's too late to try to correct it. I don't think the vet I go to normally treats chickens, but I might have to see if I can find one who would know how to help this guy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by