Mystery "comfort" chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Rusty Hills Farm, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    Ideal sent me 5 comfort chicks in my order. They all look like this one and I'm so curious what he might be?

[​IMG]

Anybody care to guess?

I know, I know. If I'll just be patient........

Who me?

[​IMG]

(BTW the whole order arrived right when Ideal said it should and everybody was in beautiful condition!)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  2. Cassandra

Cassandra Ranger Rick

Oct 27, 2007
    Southwest Mississippi
    Hmmm. I am no expert. But my anconas looked like that when I got them. He is very cute!

Cassandra

3. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
  4. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    So....maybe a black australorp? Not a SLW because they have rose combs and this little fellow does seem to have a single. LOLOL I've been looking at piccs and trying everything from black giant to barred rock, but none quite seemed to fit. So far that BA is the closest yet. Can't wait to see them grown up a bit.

Chicks are such fun! Thanks!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2008
  5. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    the barred rocks have lines on their legs, dark lines, the barred rock roosters have faded lines, lighter. Alot of people on here are pretty good with ideas on what you have, maybe an austrolorp? if its barred rock then white will start showing up when it gets bigger.

6. Cassandra

Cassandra Ranger Rick

Oct 27, 2007
    Southwest Mississippi
    Dominique! I'm sorry. They all came in the same box. LOL The dominique is what he looks like (so that sounds more like a barred rock than an ancona.)

McMurray has pictures(actual photos) of baby chicks of many different breeds. It may help you to browse through them.

Between the barred rock and the black astralorp, yours looks more like the BR, in my opinion. Their black astra is a lot more mottled on the head than yours.

Cassandra

7. bionic_chicken

bionic_chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Spring, TX
    Definitely, definitely black australorps! Lovely, prolific layers! I just identified mine yesterday! You're blessed to have the australorps![​IMG]

8. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Here's our Australorp at around that age:
    [​IMG]
    WE love her, she's our favorite!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by