Mystery Day Old Chick

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lutherpug, Apr 12, 2016.

1. lutherpug

lutherpug Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Kansas City, MO
    So, my 5 chicks just got here from MPC. Original order was for 5 sexed pullets, one each of the following-Dominique, RIR, Buff Orpington, Cochin Partridge, Delaware. It's easy enough to figure out the RIR, BO, and Cochin....but, I have 2 that look very, very similar and neither looks at all like a Delaware. My initial guess is that I got 2 Dominique, which is totally fine, but can you confirm the identity of this little one?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Does it have a white spot on the head? It also looks to have a single comb?

3. lutherpug

Jan 5, 2014
    Kansas City, MO
    These are my first chicks so I couldn't say for sure on the comb but if I had to guess I would say single. No spots on the head. The other one that I'm pretty certain is my Dominique has a yellow spot on her head. The chick in question just has a black head. I didn't realize that the Dominique had sex distinguishing color cues until I googled it this morning. That is why I'm a little unsure what this one is.....as long as it is a hen it will be okay but I sure would like to know :)

4. spieta89

spieta89 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2016
    I also received my assorted MPC order today with 2 chicks exactly the same as these!! Although my 2 have what looks like a bald spot or thinner spot on the top of their heads!! My guess was australorp

5. lutherpug

Jan 5, 2014
    Kansas City, MO
    My guess was Dominique, Barred Rock, or Australorp. I'd be okay with any of these breeds :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by