Mystery Day Predator Attacks 4 Today

bleu chick

Chirping
14 Years
Jun 8, 2009
Houston, TX
In the past 2 weeks I have had 3 attacks during the day. I live on an acre but I am very much in the city (15 miles from Downtown). 1/4 of the acre is very wooded but it is all fenced (6 foot chain link with 2 feet of barb wire). My chickens hang out on half the acre.

The attacks are to the top or bottom of the tail. One was a 2 1/2" cut below the vent. Some innards came out and eventually she died.

Today, FOUR were attacked. 2 of my small Campines that are just 7 month old and 2 Cinnamon Queens. One Cinnamon Queen just past and she had NO external injuries. Another has puncture marks (like a cat claw) under her wing near the rear. One of the Campines is torn open about 3" above the tail exposing the bone. I doubt she will make it and that's why I am on here.

I fear a feral cat that sometimes hangs out on my property. He comes and fights with my female cats that are spayed.

I have set traps tonight and I am thinking about sitting back where my chickens hang out normally to see what comes through there. When we went to give treats at 4:30 this afternoon, all the chickens were hiding. Then we found a pile of feathers. Upon further inspections, there were feathers in about 12 different spots. All the attacked hens were hiding under things.

The attacks on the Campine was very severe and went on throughout the property. A found feathers clumps that were hers in about 5 different places. Clearly she was attacked for a long time and she ran everywhere. The other campine (a different color) was also attacked in several areas but she managed to squeeze into a small hole and hide.

The total attack area was 1/4 of the acrea and went behind buildings, out in the open and through some dense bamboo. For this reason, I rule out a hawk attack.

If anyone has any pointers or words of wisdom, I would appreciate it. I currently have 3 hens in a dog kennel in my kitchen. I fear 2 will pass in the night as their injuries are fairly substantial. I would like to know what anyone recommends for the large wound exposing tail bone. Should I just put her down or can she be saved. I have raised chickens for over 10 years and never seen anything like this.

Hi, what I use is a vary strong BB gun for cats when they are harming or killing my chickens and a rifle for bigger animals in most places it is legal to kill pretiters that are endangering your chickens. And for your other chicken keep the cut clean and covered. chickens are vary good at healing and over coming things like this one of my chickens had a problem like yours she made a full recovery but she walks weird but does not look like she's in pane but when I get treats for them she is the first to get one and do not let the other chickens by the engird one.:goodpost:

So sorry for your losses and all the carnage. I'm a firm believer in:

S - S - S
Shoot - Shovel - Shut Up

I hope you catch and dispose of whatever scumbag predator(s) are attacking your girls. Keep us updated!

went to type up an update that I spend 30 minutes writing and then it disappeared after this page locked up. What gives? I cant catch a break.

went to type up an update that I spend 30 minutes writing and then it disappeared after this page locked up. What gives? I cant catch a break.
You're not alone...I've been having trouble with the site for the past 2 days. I don't know if it's a problem with slow servers or just so many people on the site...could be a combination of the two. At any rate it's irritating!!
rant.gif

It locked up on my again so I will be brief -

So far I have let one of the Campines outside. She had no broken skin but was limping badly. She has been eating great and she was very active and I felt it was bothering the other 2 that are terribly injured. I put her outside in a cage (they are up high and hang on a wall - no problems with critters getting them). I put her sister in with her so she would have some company.

The other 2 very injured are still alive! I haven't really done a wound assessment since cleaning them yesterday. I really don't want to stress them by catching them as they are living in a huge dog crate. They both eat ok. I made them some scrambled eggs and also gave them some corn and peas.

I figure I can assess the injuries better tomorrow. I put wound seal on it after I cleaned it last night and it says that that forms a protective seal that should be allowed to fall off on it own. It says it makes a durable, waterproof scab. (woundseal.com)

Nothing in traps overnight or today. I'll update again tomorrow.

You are to be applauded
clap.gif
for all your hard work to save your girls!! Thanks for the update. Yes, WoundSeal is a good product as is BluKote. Keep us updated!!

Description of situation indicates juvenile fox. Look into trapping methods for fox. You may need to use a bird as bait. Confine balance of flock until problem resolved. Fox often consistent in timing of visits so firearm can be practical approach. It may actually come in even with you present, especially if you are sittings so grab a book and a light rifle.

Sorry about your lose- I had one of my roosters taken yesterday in broad daylight when I was hanging clothes- it was definetly a fox- came over 6 ft. fence and before I could get 10 ft. jumped back over and vanished- tried to follow but no luck- I am going to move coops closer and put higher fence- What else can I do? they are all locked in at night but we live in area where everything is- just saw a bobcat walk right threw yard with squirrel in his mouth!! And my yard is 2 acres fenced- rest of farm 19 acres is with wire but guess they live here too- have to get electric wire and put on 6 ft. fencing- maybe that will help- any suggestions? thanks From Luvmyflock
barnie.gif

I am keeping an open mind to what it could be. However, a fox seems impractical. Even though my property is an acre. Most tracks in my neighborhood are 1/8 to 1/2" acre. My father purchased 2 tracks that were neighboring in the 60's. We are very much city surrounded by city (no wooded undeveloped land around us for at least 30 miles). Our neighborhood is old, from the 50's so it was developed along time ago.

Back
Top Bottom