mystery dead chicken *arm pit damage* PICS

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jester8484, Jan 5, 2013.

1. jester8484

jester8484 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2012
    Conowingo, Maryland
    My Coop
    ok so today I found our bard rock dead on the ground. It had been molting as well as our leghorn so there were feathers everywear.

I have had a chicken hunker down on the ground to die so ive seen a dead bird in that position and this bard rock wasnt in that position. one leg out, one leg in, wings open.

the only blood found was on her beak and under her wing ( arm pit area).

is this a common area where birda attack each other?
    the other 9 bird were unharmed except the leghorn missing feathers from suspected molting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

any thoughtson the death or just random acts of fowl violence

2. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    I dont think another chicken would do that much damage to another chicken. Maybe a small hawk got your bird? Are there any small foxes or raccoons in your area? Sorry for your loss.

3. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Looks like she was attacked by small animal, not your chickens.

4. jester8484

jester8484 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2012
    Conowingo, Maryland
    My Coop
    I searched the coop and cage for entry points and found nothing. if they were free ranging and something got them i would think more then one would be hurt.

I'll still keep an eye out.

and a hawk doesn't make sense only because their cage has a top. it's all hardware cloth.

5. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    So sorry for you! That definitely looks like something with teeth took a chunk out of your barred rock. Fox, raccoon, feral cat... if you have any of these in your area then I think you've found your culprit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by