Mystery death, any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bigdaddyabc, Jun 19, 2010.

1. bigdaddyabc

bigdaddyabc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Greer
    Sooooooo I got up and went to my coop this morning and let my flock out. No different than any other day except one of my 12 week old Buff Brahma pullets was laying there dead. They were all fine last night. Eating and drinking wasn't a problem. No bloody poop anywhere to be found. No unusual marks, no feathers torn out, still warm so had died early this am, and still huddled with the other birds. Wouldn't respond to anything I tried. Just dead. No food changes, ACV in the water every day all day. No new birds introduced. 12 weeks of growth, just getting her permanent feathers all grown out, two sisters doing well. I do not get it. Anyone have any ideas on this??

Thanks,

Rob

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Not unusual for them to die of heart attacks or sudden death. If it was just one, I would leave as it is probably a bird with a weak heart.

3. thetoprabit

thetoprabit New Egg

Apr 14, 2010
    I wish you luck. I have had 7 die like that in 2 weeks...I am in North Central Florida- where are you? See my thread... I cannot find anything wrong. It is frightening.

4. bigdaddyabc

bigdaddyabc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Greer
    Quote:I am in the upstate of SC. I read your post, but you said yours were all wet. This was just a dead chicken, not wet or anything. I hafta shrug and wonder! The others are all out there just happily pecking and clucking away right now.

5. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    You stated that she was "still huddled.."
    At that age they still like to pile up to sleep together....my guess would be suffocation. I know that may sound ridiculous~~she's big enough to squawk, to climb out of the huddle, etc., but I've seen it happen.
    Sorry for your loss.

6. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    When I put my babies out in their coop last year they had always had the light on for them. It was quite warm so I thought they would have been fine so I left the light in there but turned it off. I found a dead WJG. I assumed it was the bottom of the huddle and she couldn't get up from under the other 24. I left the light on from here on out so that wouldn't happen again.

I'm sorry you lost one of your babies. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by