mystery death

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AudBox, Mar 21, 2013.

1. AudBox

AudBox New Egg

May 20, 2012
    I just had one of my silver laced wyandottes die i have had her for one year same as my twenty others but it was so strange she was fine one day and the next i walked out to the coop and she was slightly stiff and eyes closed everything so i immediately removed her from the coop floor and placed her in a box to dispose of but i had to do my chores for the morning so she had to wait a minute while i was inspecting the others to make sure noone was acting strange she starts breathing it scared me half to death. while realizing she was suffering we "handled" the situation but now i am worried they free range a lot of the time now that its nice but all her symptoms say botulism to me which is scary seeings how they all tend to go where the others do. what i am worried about is do i need to throw all the eggs away from my flock and how quickly can botulism take hold of my flock or what do i do or is it possible that it is something else that is treatable thank you so much any help is wonderful!

2. cary 1973

cary 1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

that's scary wish I could be some help but I am new to chickens well not so new my girls will be a year the first week in April. hope some one can help you out.

3. AudBox

AudBox New Egg

May 20, 2012
    Thanks its ok I am more curious about my eggs being poisoned and feeding them to my family

4. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    What makes you think botulism? How did she look, like color of comb? Did you happen to take any pictures of her during this event? Any other symptoms she was exhibiting?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by